How to feed frozen food?

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on getting frozen mysis, along with New Life Spectrum Marine food, for my future clownfish/goby/gramma. How is the best way to feed these cubes of mysis?

Thank you!

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you just try to pick off a small piece with tweezers?
I usually turn off my filtration pump, leave the power head on and scoop what I need out with my finger and just dump it in front of the power head. It swirls around for about 20 minutes before I turn filtration back on. When target feeding I use a turkey baster. Same process as regular feeding just targeted.

ehealy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on getting frozen mysis, along with New Life Spectrum Marine food, for my future clownfish/goby/gramma. How is the best way to feed these cubes of mysis?

Thank you!
I grab some tank water with a plastic cup, add Selcon or Sera vitamins, add the frozen and wait 5-10 minutes...swirl it around in the cup a bit and if the shrimp separate I know it's thawed and in it goes. My fish come right to me, it's gone in about 30 seconds.

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I grab some tank water with a plastic cup, add Selcon or Sera vitamins, add the frozen and wait 5-10 minutes...swirl it around in the cup a bit and if the shrimp separate I know it's thawed and in it goes. My fish come right to me, it's gone in about 30 seconds.
Awesome! Is it smart to thaw the whole cube? (Because then you stick it back in the freezer?)

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do the whole cube. Thaw out, feed, freeze and repeat until the cube is done.
Ok, thanks!

Are mysis cubes relatively inexpensive?
I think he’s probably using the 1/2” cubes. They are individual cubes. If you have the large package you just break a chunk off and just thaw that
I actually don’t have any yet. I plan to pick some up today. ;Facepalm

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, thanks!

Are mysis cubes relatively inexpensive?

I actually don’t have any yet. I plan to pick some up today. ;Facepalm
The package I get is about $8 bucks looks like an ice cube tray but with frozen shrimp and has lasted me several months....of course mines a 13.5 gallon so it depends on your demand of feeding how much you’ll use.

ehealy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! Is it smart to thaw the whole cube? (Because then you stick it back in the freezer?)
I feed 3x a day:

Morning - Precut/portioned LRS Reef Frenzy and a full cube Hikari Spirulina Brine soaked in Selcon

Lunch - 1/2 sheet of LRS Seaweed

Dinner - Full cube of chopped clam and a full cube of Hikari Mysis shrimp in Sera

My fish are savages though, current stocking is:

8" Yellow Belly Hippo Tang
6" Picasso Trigger
4" Yellow Tang
4" Juvenile Emperor Angel
3" Cinnamon Clown

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed once a day. Don’t have nearly as much livestock as you do. Mostly coral and a couple of nems.

ehealy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed once a day. Don’t have nearly as much livestock as you do. Mostly coral and a couple of nems.
Yes, all based on the needs of the tank. I actually just increased the portion of nori because 1/3 sheet would be gone in about 5 minutes...1/2 sheet lasts about 10, LOL .

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Look for LRS reef frenzy nano, it's perfect for this application. Only break off what you need, drop it in a plastic cup, add a little tank water, wait a few minutes and feed. There's no need to rinse like mysis or other cubed based foods. Pick up a cheap turkey baster from the dollar store and make your life easier. LRS is perfect for feeding several times a day (small amounts each time).

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guess I'm doing it wrong. ;Shy I just throw the frozen cube in, and the fish destroy it within minutes. I do this morning and night, with 1/2 sheet of Nori mid day, and that's gone in about 5 minutes. they're pigs!

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Chris Spaulding

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed 1 cube if Hikari Mysis (smaller in Size ) 1 cube of PE Mysis , 1 Cube of Hikari Calarnis, 1 cube of Hikari Spria enriched Brine mixed with PE Mysis flake. 2 times a day 1x in the morning and 1 x in the evening. 1 sheet of noire every other day between feedings (lunch) and the other day in-between feed Easy Reefs Mastic. all is soaked in Selcon and Angel Elixir and Garlic.

Stocking list

Purple Tang
Tomini Tang
Fox Face
Potters Angel
Regal Angel
Copper Band
Marine Beta
Melanuras Wrasse
Blue Streak Cleaner Wrasse
Stary Bleenie
Springer Damsil
Lyretail Anthea
Vanderbuilt cormis X 2
Blood Clown
4 Peppermint shrimp
Cleaner Shrimp X 2
long spine urchin
100s of snails

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed a variety of frozen food to my cardinal fish, clownfish, gobies, blennies, damsels and tomini tang. I make sure I mix up greens and protein foods. I feed flakes and pellets too. I like to eat well so I try to feed my tank well.

Back