How to fit everything in my Biocube

Kaden Obrien

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 29 gallon Biocube that is rimless and i’m running an ai prime hd. I need some help on how to fit some things in it. I am currently running a heater and a intank media basket in the back chamber. I’m wanting to get a refugium and a slimmer but don’t know how to fit everything and don’t know what will fit my tank

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are limited space so it’s the skimmer or fuge. Can’t fit both.
1st chamber: media basket
2nd chamber: fuge or skimmer
3rd chamber: Return pump and heater

Gonebad395

Anemone hound
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run mine like this heater chamber 1,media basket chamber 2 and return chamber 3. Tbh with such little water you don’t need a fuge or a skimmer with sand and rock you might have 15 gallons of water in total. Do a 3 to five gallon water change once a week or for sure 5 gallon water change every 2 weeks and you’ll be fine. This is coming from a tried and true tank that’s been up and running since mid 2012. The only time I have had a problem is when I slacked on my water changes and it was just a algae problem. And having a fuge and a skimmer that small wouldn’t have helped that situation.

Last edited:

Script_Kitty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the bigger biocube running till just a week ago (santa got me a 105 while the wife was i. China for a month).

I converted it to a sump unit usimg a nano overflow box And. Small ice cap sump in the bottom. My goal was to get a sump on it with as little of modificstion as possible to the biocube.

I had to trim the intake box of the overflow down, but i got it to fit in the first compartment of the cube, with the return going to the second compartment that i turned into a refugium.

I was able to fit everything in the base, it was crowded, but it worked well, and the extra water volumn really helped. (Biggest mastake i made getting in was thinking that smaller tanks would be easier / more stable)

I later took it full trident (had to put the dos pumps on the outside) and this converter it to what i called the “Frankin Cube”
D7FE73A7-2E88-406F-A791-280537F14016.jpeg

My goal had been to use the cube to “learn” amd eventually go bigger, reusing as much of the tech as possivle.

The sump really opened up a lot of options.

If you go the route of putting things in the base, i would really recomend putting in some lighing first. I put in a cheep stick up light that never really worked well.

Ended up having to do most things holding a flashlight in my teath.

For the 105. I found some new 23 inch LED panels at lowes that are very flat that i really like.
497937C0-3790-4C50-AC1B-708A95959548.jpeg

And if your wondering, did i sit in the sump space and just enjoying the lighting for about an hour. Yes, yes i did.

OP
OP
Kaden Obrien

Kaden Obrien

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are limited space so it’s the skimmer or fuge. Can’t fit both.
1st chamber: media basket
2nd chamber: fuge or skimmer
3rd chamber: Return pump and heater

What do u think would be beneficial? A fuge or a skimmer? I have really high nitrates for some reason that I can’t get down even with big water changes. I know a fuge helps with that. What will the skimmer take out?

Gonebad395

Anemone hound
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do u think would be beneficial? A fuge or a skimmer? I have really high nitrates for some reason that I can’t get down even with big water changes. I know a fuge helps with that. What will the skimmer take out?

In a bio cube and after a really big water change you still have high nitrates. I’d find the reason for the high nitrates. How old is this tank? What’s the stocking list? Did you use dry rock or live rock if it’s a newer tank.

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO You would benefit more from a fuge than a skimmer

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 82.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back