How to frag Blasto's

RZ5T

Heart Breaker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small colony of the PPE Blasto's and I'm wanting to frag them. They have lots of "babies" that are grown down on the plug, but is there a way to get them off without cutting the plug?

What options do I have to get these babies off the plug?

Here's a pic of the colony to give you an idea of what I have to work with.
PPEBlastos.jpg

akabryanhall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with the PPE blastos is that they are not the branching variety, so the polyps are quite a bit closer together. I have seen that variation cut with both a bandsaw and dremmel, with both being a success. IMO, it will not be possible to get the babies fragged off the plug, or even just fragged without committing to frag the whole thing.

Anthony Calfo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the key with them too is conditioning in advance. They dont feed as readily or easily as other Mussids (such as Acans. As such they are literally weaker and usually slower to heal (or even tolerate) aggressive fragging techniques. Be sure your specimens have been in the same place for a couple months and showing hearty polyp cycles. Then, to play it safe, cut between corallites. Normally you dont have to do this for hardy Mussids and Faviids; you can literally saw right through healthy polyps and they will be fine. Not so often with Blastos. Tiptoe to be safe.

OP
OP
RZ5T

RZ5T

Heart Breaker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'll probably just cut a small frag off the colony using a dremel. And allow the small frag to grow out on a large disk for selling/trading so I can allow the original colony to grow out onto the rock.

Thanks for the help guys!

benny z

coral care giver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they're just like zoas/palys... simply pluck em off at the base.

:D

(yes, i'm j/k)

johnanddawn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would def take care and use a dremel or better yet band saw. i would remove them from the plug before doing it and then reattach with superglue to new plugs

smpolyp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good advice on the tools above. I will back up Anthony and say "conditioning in advance" or let the babies mature or grow to a stable level. Since I am not totally sure what you want. I with throw this in the wind and hope it helps. If the babies are mature enough break off the mother and remount it to another plug. You will keep your mother colony and give your babies more light so they can grow faster. Hope this helps.

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure you can frag those things without losing a polyp or two. If I had to, I would use a dremel with a diamond saw (Thin blade). It requires a steady hand but I think that's your best option.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 43.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 30.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back