How to Frag/Propagate a Chalice Coral, Cheap and Simple.

• Thread starter inactive
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You are crazy man! I love it!

IntDboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seen all the vids..Great Job Kray...I also love the hand gestures right before cutting the plate...

OP
OP
I

inactive

View Badges
It was nerve racking, I've been wanting to do that for 8 months now.

Mr. Tang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When fragging chalices, do you have mouths on the potential frags? Or does it just need some flesh on the newly cut frag?

OP
OP
I

inactive

View Badges
When fragging chalices, do you have mouths on the potential frags? Or does it just need some flesh on the newly cut frag?

Yes, I try to keep at least one mouth on the chalice. They say you can frag without a eye/mouth but I say... "Who are they?"

Paul - I know right? My hands are lovely. Nothing makes you feel like you achieved more in life than a good ol' pat on the back from my mittens.

fatcasey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
haha, sick video. Doubt the corals appreciate the second hand smoke though...haha

OP
OP
I

inactive

View Badges
Third-hand Smoke: Another Reason To Quit Smoking
They just described this in the past few weeks, 3rd hand smoke caused by the tar and toxins that settle and stick to things from the smoke.

Take that crap out of this thread please, if you have some issues to discuss.. you can PM me, or one of the moderators rather than start posting off topic stuff in the thread.

What I do with my lungs and my life is my choice... If I choose to smoke MY cigarettes around MY coral that I spent MY money on then I will do so. Until I hear a acan lord do a fake cough under it's breath, I will continue doing what I am doing. I've been doing this for years now and it has never seemed to cause a problem. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Bottom line, this thread is about fragging chalices... not the future of my health. I don't want to hear about it again.. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr. Tang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PC has gotten WAY out of line! Like I say,,,"Smoke em if you got em!"...

So you just pop the chalice off the frag disc and cut it. Than glue it back to the disc? When the chalice encrusts over the disc, is it not sticking to the disc? OR is it growing over it but not cementing itself?

Kinda confused here.. sorry if that sounds kinda slow

OP
OP
I

inactive

View Badges
PC has gotten WAY out of line! Like I say,,,"Smoke em if you got em!"...

So you just pop the chalice off the frag disc and cut it. Than glue it back to the disc? When the chalice encrusts over the disc, is it not sticking to the disc? OR is it growing over it but not cementing itself?

Kinda confused here.. sorry if that sounds kinda slow

The 1st chalice was being cut directly off a rock and then fragged.

The 2nd chalice was on a plug and I popped it off prior to fragging it buy cutting the glue.

The 3rd chalice was an example of when a chalice on a disc grows over the glue, and you have no place to actually cut the glue. When I mounted the 3rd chalice months ago, I built up the sides with aquamend and glue so the chalice can spread faster as opposed to drop down and THEN grow out. By doing this, I didn't really have any place to get my cutters in so I showed how you would split the entire plug in half. Normally, a older piece of LPS would encrust fully to the plug... this was not the case so the chalice actually popped off the plug. The example was still there though!

OP
OP
I

inactive

View Badges
I'm going to record a follow up video in a few minutes of the corals 1 day after fragging. My main lights are out, but you should still be able to see the cuts and what not under the 2 remaining blue plus bulbs.

OP
OP
I

inactive

View Badges
Here's a follow up video... Day 2 for the coral frags and their mothers, no losses and the scolymia ate some food last night. I fed it through the freshly cut side into what would have been the middle of the mouth. :)

YouTube - Kraylen's Lab - LPS Frag Session Follow Up(Next Day)

There ya go... My apologies for the bad quality! I just turned my lights back on, no tripod and no macro, but you get the point!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 67 51.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back