How to gauge waterflow?

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let the coral be the judge. If things are closed up its likely to much flow(or light). If things are buldging open maybe turn it up just a bit like 5-10%. I often upgrade the return pumps in my aio's and don't even need a powerhead. But there always nice especially if you randomize/pulse the flow. And the return pump does count for turnover 30x is perfectly exceptable. And if you get a bit of simple sps put it in direct flow.
You may not need a powerhead but is good to have on hand in case your return pump fails you will need flow in your tank until you get return pump going again.

OP
OP
JL15219

JL15219

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is how we are going to gauge flow in our new Random Flow Generator Nozzle powered office build.

This was just a test, but the plan is to suspend a number of these streamers throughout the tank to see the flow strength, and patterns.

Video wouldn't play for some reason

OP
OP
JL15219

JL15219

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may not need a powerhead but is good to have on hand in case your return pump fails you will need flow in your tank until you get return pump going again.
Well I do have it really low like 20% right now.....I actually didn't think I needed one but saw everyone had some sort of powerhead

jesspal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mixed tank with a bit of sps near top
I’m using two SLW-10’s from Jabeo and a small Hygger that’s similar. I really like the jebao’s

OP
OP
JL15219

JL15219

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mixed tank with a bit of sps near top
I’m using two SLW-10’s from Jabeo and a small Hygger that’s similar. I really like the jebao’s
Oh okay that explains the 3 powerheads.....I only have zoas and LPS....I was actually really looking into the jebaos but read they are hit or miss so decided on the nero seemed like a safer bet

OP
OP
JL15219

JL15219

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is how we are going to gauge flow in our new Random Flow Generator Nozzle powered office build.

This was just a test, but the plan is to suspend a number of these streamers throughout the tank to see the flow strength, and patterns.

I finally go it to work on my actual computer instead of the iPad.....Yeah I can totally try something like that to give me a better prospective of the flow....Thanks!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back