How to get 10-20 years in prison travelling with corals....

Have you ever thought about taking a piece of coral home you found out in the ocean?

• YES

Votes: 200 25.9%
  • NO

Votes: 520 67.3%
  • Maybe

Votes: 53 6.9%

• Total voters

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have I thought about it ..... yes, absolutely. Would I actually do it ..... absolutely NOT. Thought about absconding with a bit of stag horn when I was in Florida this past Summer. But I wouldn’t do it because then I’d just be another moron destroying the reefs,

scchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What were they thinking??

The same thing that ppl on this forum brag about doing it here in FL or asking if it’s “OK” That’s what!

IMO, anyone who takes as much as a snail from the ocean needs 10-20 years here in the US!
Then you probably should find a different hobby, you taking the snail is no different than someone else taking the snail, you can get all the licenses you need to take a snail in Florida with a quick stop at the Walmart sporting goods desk.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then you probably should find a different hobby, you taking the snail is no different than someone else taking the snail, you can get all the licenses you need to take a snail in Florida with a quick stop at the Walmart sporting goods desk.

It’s my opinion and I have a right to express it.

scchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s my opinion and I have a right to express it.
It is but what is your opinion based on, to me it seems as baseless as someone complaining about people who butcher their own chickens but still eat chicken bought from the store. Just because someone else does something does not make it more or less right. Would you support someone who collects their animals themselves taking great care to make sure that each one is well taken care of from the moment it leaves the ocean over someone who throws hundreds of animals on the bottom of a boat, lets them sit in the sun all day for 3-4 days than takes them to be resold at a place not much better with better than 50% mortality at each stop?

AbnormalReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion, all those fancy Walt Disney acroporas or whatever had to have come from the wild at some point. Today however, it is hardly necessary to harvest coral from the wild, unless maricultured, due to all the captive strains. An exception would be “frontier” corals and inverts such as Deepwater gorgonians, Goniopora, Dendronephyta, etc. Of course, assuming they’re non endangered species. The hobby must advance somehow so long as it’s not harvesting an endangered species or over harvesting a non-endangered species.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like cooking the beehive with a long stick right now but I will hold off on it for now :)

What on Earth does SMH stand for guys? Sorry I don't use bookface or anything, behind in the game I guess...

Bonefrier

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like cooking the beehive with a long stick right now but I will hold off on it for now :)

What on Earth does SMH stand for guys? Sorry I don't use bookface or anything, behind in the game I guess...
Shaking My Head

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have I thought about it ..... yes, absolutely. Would I actually do it ..... absolutely NOT. Thought about absconding with a bit of stag horn when I was in Florida this past Summer. But I wouldn’t do it because then I’d just be another moron destroying the reefs,
Lets be honest; if it weren't illegal, & you weren't going to be fined or jailed, would you do it then?

of course you would

Frogger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as the authorities are concerned its not about saving these corals, they were a goner the minute someone took then out of the ocean. Its about making an example of the people that stole them to discourage this type of behavior in the future and to protect their natural resource from this kind of action.

Its not like they can just dump them back in the ocean they do not know exactly where they came from, if they have been exposed to pests that are not native while out of the ocean releasing them back into the wild could be catastrophic. Unless there is a public aquarium in the Philippines that is willing to take them as sad as it might sound the death of these corals as is the smuggling of any live animal is the always the final result.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Just a No Brainer. Preservation is Key
Serves them right.

th

Adam G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being a scuba diver and having been in many great diving destinations around the world and a reefer for 20+ years it has crossed my mind more than once. I am happy to say that not only have I never taken a piece of coral from the ocean I have tried very hard to never even touched a piece of coral in the ocean.

To me it is just a matter of ethics. If I wanted to take a piece of coral out of the ocean I would apply for the proper permits, pay the proper fees, and get permission. It is a simple matter of living with in the law and doing the right thing.

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This part from the FB article is interesting
"The offenders (of Coral Exploitation and Exportation) shall also be required to pay the cost of restoration of the damaged coral reefs based on available studies and as determined by the department.

Ouch; how long is a piece of string?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is how lots of those hot rainbow chalices got in everyone’s tank guys... lol

Exactly!
I heard a rumor that the chalice chain ended with a random shooting on a street in Indochina.

That dude was endangered and now extirpated. RIP coral warrior. I hope it was all worth it.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back