How to get a coral off a frag plug without harming it

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just picked up a palm sized Starburst monti (beautiful piece) but the issue is its on a frag plug. Normally id just rip it off but it's kind of encrusted the frag plug a bit and I'm afraid to break it. How would I go about taking the plug off while keeping the coral fairly in tact?

16693514310593764654191816025817.jpg

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Often you can use screwdriver or similar and pry it off at glue in that scenario as I doubt the actual monti is attached to the plug, but of course you risk ending up having several smaller montis if it goes wrong lol.

Other option if it meets your needs is bone cutters to snip the stem off the plug rather than removing the coral from plug entirely

Alexopora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Are you able to remove the entire coral+frag plug out of the tank?

2. if yes, it makes removing the coral alot easier. [a] Get a bone cutter if you have one and careful snap at the point where the coral makes contact with the frag plug.

3. If no, is it possible to remove the rock in which the coral is attached to? If yes, get a bone cutter and follow [a].

4. If the answer to both 2 and 3 is no, you gotta take your bone cutter scuba diving and do [a] under water.

The key here is you need a bone cutter/diagonal cutters.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Pearlberry Acro was like this when I got it. All I did was take the bottom of the plug off and then stick it to a rock. It still grows rather fast for me and is the fastest grower out of most of my acros. If you do break some of the coral like I ended up doing, you’ll find that under the perfect conditions your monti will go from looking broken to having no signs of a broken piece in a few weeks. My coral in my SPS tank show weekly growth. Even some that are supposedly slow growing (For example, Millepora) show the fast growth.

OP
OP
GHOSTLY

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Are you able to remove the entire coral+frag plug out of the tank?

2. if yes, it makes removing the coral alot easier. [a] Get a bone cutter if you have one and careful snap at the point where the coral makes contact with the frag plug.

3. If no, is it possible to remove the rock in which the coral is attached to? If yes, get a bone cutter and follow [a].

4. If the answer to both 2 and 3 is no, you gotta take your bone cutter scuba diving and do [a] under water.

The key here is you need a bone cutter/diagonal cutters.
I am able to take it out but issue is that I don't have bone cutters. Anything else I can use? I got floral equipment

Alexopora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am able to take it out but issue is that I don't have bone cutters. Anything else I can use? I got floral equipment
Could you share a pic of what you have in mind? Cause something along the line of a diagonal cutter/plier may work as well (pretty sure u can get them easily from a diy/hardware store).

Alexopora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its kind of like a shear except handheld
I have used a dedicated shear to frag sps and I must say, it does not do a good job. It will most likely cause your entire monti to fracture as opposed to a bone cutter or a diagonal cutter. I’d advise that the next time you go to a diy/hardware store/order online, get one of these.

Attachments

• C3DE1DF3-0E33-4CEA-BA73-AFA316A6942F.jpeg
    C3DE1DF3-0E33-4CEA-BA73-AFA316A6942F.jpeg
    194.4 KB · Views: 27

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 149 60.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 67 27.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 85 34.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 66 26.9%
Back