How to get a healthy clownfish?

Xavierr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey whats up guys,

So I want to stock a pair of clownfish in my tank in about 8 weeks from now (Waiting for it to cycle). I want your guys advice on how to make sure the clownfish is in a healthy condition when it arrives in my tank avoiding all sorts of diseases like brook?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You really can't unless the fish has been quarentined. A good place to go to would be live aquaria divers den or other online pre qt fish.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also 8 weeks is about 7 more weeks than you need to cycle. Just get some ammonium chloride from dr tims or brightwell and some dr tims one and only and it should be good to go in 3 days. Alternatively, you can just do fish food and dormant bacteria and have it ready in a week or so.

Leemcg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best bet from my experience has been to get tank bred, then quarantine. Or get them from a vendor that does a FULL quarantine before shipping. That’s the safest bet for a very healthy fish. It may cost a little bit more, but it’s worth it to keep the nasties out of your tank. You don’t want to have to go through the pain and hassle of getting rid of ich, brook, or velvet. There was a thread on here earlier that listed some very good vendors, like Quarantined Fish, FishHotel, BayBridge.

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy it in person if you can.
Go to your lfs and actually look at it.
Colour, how is it swimming, ask about its diet, ask about their quarantine procedures.

Preferably get a tank raised clownfish and then quarantine it yourself in addition.

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like stated above...get something that has gone through a full QT or QT them yourself before they go into the main display tank. I would take Divers Den off that list as I got 5 fish from them and ALL had Ich or Urinema. I do a Full QT before anything goes in my tank so my tank is still disease free, but 3 of those fish did not make it through QT. I will never buy from Divers Den again.

Leemcg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like stated above...get something that has gone through a full QT or QT them yourself before they go into the main display tank. I would take Divers Den off that list as I got 5 fish from them and ALL had Ich or Urinema. I do a Full QT before anything goes in my tank so my tank is still disease free, but 3 of those fish did not make it through QT. I will never buy from Divers Den again.
I agree about takin DD off the list. It’s better than most that do nothing, but It’s not a real quarantine. More of a quick or light treatment and observation. So still rolling the dice. If you want out of the box, Into display tank, as close to perfect as possible, then a real QT vendor is the best bet.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 46 52.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.3%
Back