How to get a wrasse to find the sand....

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a haliocheres wrasse tonight and I run bare bottom. I put a container of sand in there for him but it's lights off and he is in the corner. How to I lead a wrasse to the sandbox?
And what happens if he doesn't find it?

Higher Thinking

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a haliocheres wrasse tonight and I run bare bottom. I put a container of sand in there for him but it's lights off and he is in the corner. How to I lead a wrasse to the sandbox?
And what happens if he doesn't find it?
The fish is definitely more than capable of finding that. What size tank? I'd imagine even several hundred gallons couldn't hide it. Give it a couple days and if it starts eating you can always drop food in that location.

Although you know what they say, you can lead a wrasse to sand, but you can't make them borrow...or something like that. [emoji6]

wkscott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm guessing that the new wrasse is in a bb QT? He'll most likely find it, eventually. However when night falls and a burying wrass can't find sand to sleep in, his stress levels will greatly increase. Lack of sleep or proper rest, like in humans, can negatively affect his immune system.
If he's in a corner why not move his bowl to the corner? Are you using a square or rectangular bowl or a round one? I have found that a clear glass Pyrex dish works well in QT.

OP
OP
ahiggins

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish is definitely more than capable of finding that. What size tank? I'd imagine even several hundred gallons couldn't hide it. Give it a couple days and if it starts eating you can always drop food in that location.

Although you know what they say, you can lead a wrasse to sand, but you can't make them borrow...or something like that. [emoji6]
I thought of that analogy while writing lol
I'm just worried and I don't want him to stress. He's in the rock work at the moment and I'm not able to move it around.
It's a 40 breeder and a Midas claimed one rock, an anthia has underneath another rock. I put the container of sand between the two (luckily each of those are opposite sides) but the wrasse was in BB when I got him. I just want to know how long before I need to worry.
Ps. I totally get the immune/stress factor which is why I'm asking :)
Pss. @eatbreakfast what do you think? @evolved too :)

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He'll find the sand. They always do.

Side note, even though they 'go to bed' they don't actually sleep or rest. They are basically hiding at night because that is when a greater amount of predators come out. Though not being in their preferred hiding spot is stressful.

OP
OP
ahiggins

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Side note, even though they 'go to bed' they don't actually sleep or rest. They are basically hiding at night because that is when a greater amount of predators come out. Though not being in their preferred hiding spot is stressful.
thanks!!
I didnt see him in the rocks this morning....so we shall see when I get home from work lol I know he wont go hungry, theres a bajillion pods in there.

OP
OP
ahiggins

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok....new question: do I just assume he's in the sand at lights out? lol he's there. Sands there.

salty150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Are you saying that wrasses' don't sleep or rest...?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you saying that wrasses' don't sleep or rest...?
Yep. Some bury, others form a mucus cocoon, and others wedge into the rocks. "We" as observers describe it as going to sleep or going to bed, but that's because it is an easy way to describe what we are seseei. Their activity slows down, but they are pretty much always in an "on" mode to be ready to escape predators at a moments notice. There have actually been quite a few studies on it.

Ok....new question: do I just assume he's in the sand at lights out? lol he's there. Sands there.
Yes, assume it is buried, but never, ever go digging for a buried wrasse.

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When they do borrow in the sand. They kick it up pretty high. You will most likely have to keep filling up the container holding the sand and sand will start to cover the bottom around the container. Since you have the wrasse and plan on keeping it. I would just grab a PVC pipe and add sand. Problem solved, no headache, the fish is happy, and it gets to choose "the spot" to hide in and sleeps in. They need 2 spots.

OP
OP
ahiggins

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright so I found sand on the bb today. Good sign lol and I just scared him a min ago (accidentally) and he dove into the sand! Yay!!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back