How to get more stable pictures without tripod??

5280Reefer

Lover of all things reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i have a Canon T7i with a Canon 200mm Macro lense and a port hole to take shots under water and I am having a hard time with them coming out clear cuz the slightest movement will make the shot fuzzy, how can i fix that?

panama red.jpg pinky the bear.jpg PC rainbow2.jpg Red planet2.jpg asd rainbow2.jpg bali short.jpg

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
200mm is really close. You will need a fast shutter speed to help get sharper images. As a general rule as a minimum you want to match your shutter speed to the mm of your lens. So if you’re using a 100mm lens you want a 1/100 shutter. In your case with a 200mm you’d want a 1/200 shutter speed as a minimum.

That’s pretty fast so you will need to open your aperture or raise your iso or your images will turn out dark.

OP
OP
5280Reefer

5280Reefer

Lover of all things reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
200mm is really close. You will need a fast shutter speed to help get sharper images. As a general rule as a minimum you want to match your shutter speed to the mm of your lens. So if you’re using a 100mm lens you want a 1/100 shutter. In your case with a 200mm you’d want a 1/200 shutter speed as a minimum.

That’s pretty fast so you will need to open your aperture or raise your iso or your images will turn out dark.

Im at f13 would that be fine?

OP
OP
5280Reefer

5280Reefer

Lover of all things reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hard to say without using your camera but iso matters a lot. You will have to play around with your F number and iso to try and get it properly exposed.

Thanks again! So I ended up going to ISO 800 F7 and 1/200 and this was the results

ASD under blue .jpg Pinky under blues.jpg PC under blues.jpg Red planet under blues2.jpg panama red under blues.jpg WD2 under blues.jpg

Soakem

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at the pictures it seems to be a focus issue. The specs on the canon 200mm macro has a minimum focus distance of 1.5m or 4.9ft.

OP
OP
5280Reefer

5280Reefer

Lover of all things reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at the pictures it seems to be a focus issue. The specs on the canon 200mm macro has a minimum focus distance of 1.5m or 4.9ft.

it was the the shutter speed, the second set of pictures came out waaaay better i just need to mess with the ISO and F/ more and maybe the shutter speed even so that will be done on my days off so Thursday and Friday.

Soakem

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it was the the shutter speed, the second set of pictures came out waaaay better i just need to mess with the ISO and F/ more and maybe the shutter speed even so that will be done on my days off so Thursday and Friday.

If you believe it’s the settings you could also put it into TV mode which is “shutter priority” and set the shutter to your desired speed. It will adjust the aperture for you and then you can move the iso accordingly. Just don’t go to high or else it the image will start to get grainy.

ZipAdeeZoa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you really don't like the restraints of a tripod a monopod (one leg) makes a big difference in stability and is much easier to maneuver. Outside of that patience. When I do macro I lean into the subject and hold the shutter down and continue to do so x amount of times until I line it up right. you can also steady yourself by holding your breath, like someone else said when you zoom movement is exaggerated and breathing involves a lot of movement.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 64 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back