How to get my chaetomorpha algae to grow better /work better

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO, it's all about the lighting...
EnviroGro FLT46 4-Ft, 6-Tube Fixture, T5 Bulbs Included...
Apollo Horticulture 4 FT 6400K T5 Fluorescent Grow Light Bulbs...
7-weeks in and this what I had to show for it, I have removed a tun sense the video below...

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope Dennis (@d2mini ) doesn't mind me posting his cheato video but, again light is an extremely important factor that I feel is sometimes overlooked.

Harold Green

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not everyone has a system that's pumping out lots of nitrates so it becomes the limiting factor as much as the lighting. I have fair growth of macro algae in my sump with a 26watt florescent bulb in a clamp on fixture. Low heat gain, low energy use. Now if I had a large tub with mangroves I could see using the sodium lamps but for small systems under the tank small energy efficient lights are probably a better choice.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is images and videos like that second one that have caused me to back away from chaeto altogether. If this giant ball of chaeto is growing and sucking down nutrients like a vacuum, why is the entire chamber it is in covered with filamentous algae? The whole point (for me at least) is to outcompete the algae I don't want and only have it where I do want it, in my sump. I've been heavily leaning towards a algae turf scrubber for this reason.

I agree with the idea of battling algae with algae. I don't think chaeto is up to the challenge of beating GHA.

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that the limiting factor on growth would be inhibited in a ULNS more so than in one with excessive or moderately nutrient rich nourishments that are essential for growth. Finding that happy medium between what would fit and work, while being energy efficient or not, has to be a judgement call that ultimately will be made by the hobbyist.

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this giant ball of chaeto is growing and sucking down nutrients like a vacuum, why is the entire chamber it is in covered with filamentous algae?

I think you nailed it in your own post... the algae in the chamber has been given the ideal environment to grow and flourish, an algae scrubber would also provide an ideal environment for it to flourish... IMHO regardless of the type it found an environment conducive to growth that it took full advantage of... if that's a box or a scrubber doesn't matter?

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The argument that GHA grows faster than chaeto, could also be attributed to light source in a DT as opposed to light source in a sump.

Last edited:

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you nailed it in your own post... the algae in the chamber has been given the ideal environment to grow and flourish, an algae scrubber would also provide an ideal environment for it to flourish... IMHO regardless of the type it found an environment conducive to growth that it took full advantage of... if that's a box or a scrubber doesn't matter?
I suppose that depends on the system. I'd much prefer a small box lit with a few LEDs that I can tuck away in an open spot in my sump somewhere over having an entire section filled with algae that can get out and clog my pumps. You have to clean them both out, but a ATS generally makes a few handfuls where you guys are showing buckets worth of the stuff. Seems like "pound for pound" filamentous algae still wins.

If you've got a giant sump, maybe you don't care. It comes down to efficiency for me still. In this case, that giant amount of space being occupied by the chaeto is not enough to take up the nutrients and additional algae is growing to compensate. That to me means you'd be better served by growing a filamentous algae.

I don't have a pony in this race, just my thoughts on the matter. This is way off topic at this point, so I'll stop.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The argument that GHA grows faster than chaeto could also be attributed to light source in a DT as opposed to light source in a sump.
No argument here as to why it grows where it does. I want to control where it grows. So if a chaeto ball in the sump does that, great! If an ATS does that, great!

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@icecool2 I don't feel we are too off topic, this to me is the very reason for thread like this one allowing us to share viewpoints constructively.

The OP's original question was "How to get my chaetomorpha algae to grow better /work better" and the viewpoints expressed thus far are relative to aiding in a general synopsis of the question.

Last edited:

Damon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree completely with all, and d2 mini is using the same approach and type of light source(a sodium) as me. And this can be applied to just about any size tank(i would say a nano, no). I had the same light growing on my 50 in a small sump(the tank was a 18 gallon). So it's very scalable.

And actually, the filament algea "is" slower growing than the cheato. But, and here's the thing, if you want a "pretty" sump, then, it's not the option for you.. It's strictly, and honestly for growing and life..

And your(at least I am) pulling out a good 5 gallon bucket at least every two weeks(this is not a small increase in growth, it's pretty massive).. I can't remember if it's 10 fold, simply because I've been running it since December. the ulns status, simply allows you the headroom, if you wish to feed more, do more as far as your animals.. And that's with a low nutrient system. This honestly defies the limiting factor thinking process on a very large scale. Ids something I learned when doing hydro plants. The theory is basically fueling the plants with the energy they need to seek out small amounts of nutrient. These are the small amounts that test kits will not pick up(and the typical, I'm reading zero, but still have some form of algea growing scenario). It is, a sound, widely accepted and known principle, but just not in the aquarium circles..

That's the thing, your going to grow algea at some point.. It's the nature of the beast. What your doing is controlling where and how much. It's just like a turf scrubber without the additional equipment. But it depends on what the person wants to do. But it does the exact same thing as a scrubber. But, to me, it's not as messy and clunky looking(this comes from using and building scrubbers)..

bwrag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i will also say this for a case for hps lighting over macros. my dt was overrun with byropsis. I tried kent mtech pruning everything. a few weeks ago i replaced my led fuge light with an hps. my chaeto literaly blew up. and a few weeks later my byropsis is 90% gone. i wont say 100% because macros beat it out (i have cut my dt lighting significantly) but i will say it was a major contributing factor. just yesterday i threw away almost a 5 gallon buck full of macros. mostly chaeto, but also two calpuras and byropsis. yes i still have byropsis in my fuge and im fine with that as long as it stays there. point is i had decent growth with led and crazy growth with hps. and i also have this light under my stand no heat issues and ph varies .02 from day to night.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@icecool2 I don't feel we are too off topic, this to me is very reason for thread like this one allowing us to share viewpoints constructively.
The OP's original question was "How to get my chaetomorpha algae to grow better /work better" and the viewpoints expressed thus far are relative to aiding in a general synopsis of the question.
Fair enough.

@Damon tomatoe, tomahtoe to some extent I suppose when it comes to looks. Some giant, energy sucking sodium bulb and a monster clump of algae is clunkier to me than a self-contained <20W scrubber system where the algae grows inside of it.

We all agree that the task is to get unwanted algae(s) out of our displays and we all agree that algae is going to grow SOMEWHERE. Now if you told me you keep a small ball of chaeto in your sump to promote pod growth, I'm completely on board with you.

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My "chaeto sandwich" idea works great! I posted it here under DIY. It keeps the algae close to the light and water/nutrients have to go through it to leave the refugium. I flip the sandwich about 1x per week. And harvest about 1x a month. Works almost like a Turf Algae Scrubber.
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1439476341.054877.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1439476407.914883.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1439476431.805606.jpg

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree completely with all, and d2 mini is using the same approach and type of light source(a sodium) as me. And this can be applied to just about any size tank(i would say a nano, no). I had the same light growing on my 50 in a small sump(the tank was a 18 gallon). So it's very scalable.

Agree, finding that happy medium between what works and fits while being energy efficient or not, has to be a judgement call that ultimately will be made by the individual hobbyist and what best fits their needs.

Damon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fair enough.

@Damon tomatoe, tomahtoe to some extent I suppose when it comes to looks. Some giant, energy sucking sodium bulb and a monster clump of algae is clunkier to me than a self-contained <20W scrubber system where the algae grows inside of it.

We all agree that the task is to get unwanted algae(s) out of our displays and we all agree that algae is going to grow SOMEWHERE. Now if you told me you keep a small ball of chaeto in your sump to promote pod growth, I'm completely on board with you.
Pod growth(size and quantity) is pretty amazing dude! Lol, I've had a few beers, so if I consider the types, forgive but ampipods(the shrimp looking ones), I swear are a good .25 to.5 inches. The copepods are so numerous, at least in my mat of cheato, that the cheato looks like it's shimmering on the top. Honestly,I was shocked the first time I saw it. I have been into saltwater over 20 years and I have never, honestly ever, seen anything like it with those pods. To me, it's the most beneficial and interesting thing about this method.

It has always been hard for me to grow pods and maintain them. Now, I just let it do its thing. It looks like roaches(gross, but the closest thing, sort of the scarabs from the movie the mummy) when the lights on the dt come on.. It's crazy for pods.. Seriously..

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@d2mini do you still have access to the original video file of your cheato dance! :)

webbrage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine doesn't tumble at all. I think the tumbling is simply to keep it in a ball shape.
my buddy has a big ball in the middle and has a little powerhead to keep it rolling and ill tell you what it grows like wildfire i guess cause it works like a better filter moving through the water rolling.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 38 30.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back