How to get my fish to eat dry food?

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be convenient for them, or if they need to do an auto feeder. I feed mainly frozen, with an occasional dry, as I have a lionfish and 2 butterflies that's love to eat frozen
That's a good point! I didn't think about a auto feeder! I have never used one....my luck it would malfunction and dump a ton of pellets into my tank! LOL!

To the OP.....you could try and mix pellets and frozen together at feeding time to ween them onto pellets. Just add more pellets and less frozen each time. Also soaking in garlic has been reported to work as well.

dylana407

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How to get my fish to eat dry food? Do fish prefer food with garlic flavor?
Most fish will eat pellets when they are hungry enough. I feed new fish frozen until they settle in. One settled, I only feed dry pellets. My fish like Omega One small pellets with garlic over NLS. So I mix both type in a container. There are few fish that are extremely picky eaters. I would suggest doing some research on liveaquaria about your fish.

Fishnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always had luck by starting with frozen clam or mysis shrimp and then mixing dry pellets in the frozen food juices. The pellets soften and smell more like the frozen food they are use to. Gradually decrease the frozen.

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just use an auto feeder to dump a little dry food everyday. Eventually most fish learn to chase those pellets. I use an auto feeder and now even the regal angel eats pellets.

OP
OP
E

ella.saltwaterfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most fish will eat pellets when they are hungry enough. I feed new fish frozen until they settle in. One settled, I only feed dry pellets. My fish like Omega One small pellets with garlic over NLS. So I mix both type in a container. There are few fish that are extremely picky eaters. I would suggest doing some research on liveaquaria about your fish.
thank you

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 116 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back