How to get my Reef Octopus essence s130 dialed in.

Jamie Allbritton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a a reef octopus essence s130 protein skimmer about 3 months ago. I was wondering if anyone else has had problems with getting this skimmer to work properly? I have contacted marine depot, and coralvue about this product and tried what they told me to do but still can't get it quit overflowing constantly. Any help here will be greatly appreciated.

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a a reef octopus essence s130 protein skimmer about 3 months ago. I was wondering if anyone else has had problems with getting this skimmer to work properly? I have contacted marine depot, and coralvue about this product and tried what they told me to do but still can't get it quit overflowing constantly. Any help here will be greatly appreciated.
I don't own that specific skimmer but personally I would consider cutting out 4 pieces of egg crate, opening up the water level adjustment wide and elevating the skimmer until you can get a handle on things. once you have control of it for a day or so remove a single sheet of egg crate and try it like that for another day. repeat the process until the skimmer either is on the bottom of the sump and working or run it with whatever height its happy at.

OP
OP
Jamie Allbritton

Jamie Allbritton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't own that specific skimmer but personally I would consider cutting out 4 pieces of egg crate, opening up the water level adjustment wide and elevating the skimmer until you can get a handle on things. once you have control of it for a day or so remove a single sheet of egg crate and try it like that for another day. repeat the process until the skimmer either is on the bottom of the sump and working or run it with whatever height its happy at.
Thanks, I will try that and see what happens.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont have loads of skimmer experience but what i have discerned is open everything all the way when first installed.
Then slowly close, but only make adjustments once a day. Any adjustment takes hours to fully see its effect.

OP
OP
Jamie Allbritton

Jamie Allbritton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont have loads of skimmer experience but what i have discerned is open everything all the way when first installed.
Then slowly close, but only make adjustments once a day. Any adjustment takes hours to fully see its effect.
See that's the problem, its wide open and still overflowing.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can also try using acrylic tubes as feet to egg crate. Cut to the proper height. I use a power mitre but a sharp hand saw and a mitre box also makes a straight cut.

Treasure Coast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Open it up so that your at max bubbles and then raise the skimmer up until it stops overflowing. Let it run a half day and then try lowering the bubble output via the dial. If you can do this successfully a few times, you can then start to lower your skimmer height. You could also do it the opposite and close it down (reduce bubbles) and raise height of skimmer then over time lower height and raise bubbles The other thing you could do is, shut down your auto fill and let the bubbles flow out to a bucket until it stops (sometimes their is something causing in to go wacky) until it dispenses it all. Then start adding water back. I know when I use something like Chemi-Clean, I have to do that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jamie Allbritton

Jamie Allbritton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jamie Allbritton - Were you ever able to find a solution? Mine has been overflowing for over a month now without a sign of slowing down.
Yes I did. I had to raise the skimmer 3 inches and I run it on the # 12 setting. Now after water changes I have to dial it back to #16 or it will will overflow again. I haven't found away around that yet, but I will keep you informed if I do.

OP
OP
Jamie Allbritton

Jamie Allbritton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also try to run a low nutrient tank. Phosphates run between 0.03 - 0.08 and nitrates 5.00 to 3.00. I get good skimmate but it is not a lot.

HairlessChewbacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Octo Essence 130 and it's been overflowing massively for three weeks straight, whether or not I elevate it. Super frustrating. It's a brand new tank, and I've gathered that that can cause problems, but you'd think the manufacturer would give me some heads up.

nickkohrn

Corals for President 2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Octo Essence 130 and it's been overflowing massively for three weeks straight, whether or not I elevate it. Super frustrating. It's a brand new tank, and I've gathered that that can cause problems, but you'd think the manufacturer would give me some heads up.

I ended up getting a 4” stand for it. It is now sitting in 7” of water, and the output dial is on 10; it skims incredibly well.

HairlessChewbacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without a stand it sits in 7” of water. I put a 2.5” stand under it and still I get the overflow. Full open too.

Last edited:

HairlessChewbacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up getting a 4” stand for it. It is now sitting in 7” of water, and the output dial is on 10; it skims incredibly well.
When you say it sits in 7” of water, do you mean even after you put it on the stand? In other words, it would have been in 11” of water without the stand?

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say it sits in 7” of water, do you mean even after you put it on the stand? In other words, it would have been in 11” of water without the stand?
I’m actually in the middle of cleaning my skimmer and its sump chamber, so I’ll snap a photo as soon as it’s put back in.

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My measurements were slightly off; I added a 4” stand, and the skimmer is sitting in 4.5” of water. I have the skimmer closed all of the way, at level 16. I’ll likely add a couple inches of water during next week’s water-change, but it’s skimming well for now.

97B7C91D-5DA0-43B4-AFCF-AA331E298FC3.jpeg
94DCC960-F761-4B3E-8E9B-7A1A040B8E87.jpeg
5E2F409B-68E3-4E1D-91F5-E8F7797E2FAE.jpeg
86E8EB2F-0969-41B0-A41A-15B2416453D3.jpeg
E878786B-AEF5-4DF2-860F-E8F66A85A625.jpeg
2202EA59-ECC5-44C1-AE5C-F5A48BF772C1.jpeg
E72BA516-3ADE-4211-BBF0-0C44710E2995.jpeg

HairlessChewbacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome!! Thank you! First of all, cool stand. Second, thanks for sharing these. Mine is sitting in 4.5 inches of water as well, but I have it dialed all the way open to keep the internal water level as low as possible. Still overflows. A lot.

Manufacturer recommends that these sit in like 7-8 inches of water. I wonder if anyone gets good results that deep?

Not sure when mine will settle down. Not really sure what will change over time such that it’ll start to work. Seems like I really have no choice but to wait.

Appreciate all the help, Nick.

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome!! Thank you! First of all, cool stand. Second, thanks for sharing these. Mine is sitting in 4.5 inches of water as well, but I have it dialed all the way open to keep the internal water level as low as possible. Still overflows. A lot.

Manufacturer recommends that these sit in like 7-8 inches of water. I wonder if anyone gets good results that deep?

Not sure when mine will settle down. Not really sure what will change over time such that it’ll start to work. Seems like I really have no choice but to wait.

Appreciate all the help, Nick.
You’re welcome!

I did have a post somewhere on here about mine constantly overflowing. At that point, it was sitting in ~9-10” of water, but I soon raised it up with a makeshift stand that I put together using egg crate. That solved the issue, and it stopped overflowing. The egg crate bumped it up so that it was in ~7-8”, and it was working wonderfully. I ended up ordering a 4” stand from Marc Levenson because I want the option to have my skimmer in a level of water if I add any to my sump. Also, it got my skimmer off of the wobbly stack of egg crate.

For what it’s worth, I held mine at the 7-8” water level for a few minutes, and it worked well. I suspect that the manufacturer’s recommendation is accurate.

How long have you had it running in it’s current water level?

HairlessChewbacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re welcome!

I did have a post somewhere on here about mine constantly overflowing. At that point, it was sitting in ~9-10” of water, but I soon raised it up with a makeshift stand that I put together using egg crate. That solved the issue, and it stopped overflowing. The egg crate bumped it up so that it was in ~7-8”, and it was working wonderfully. I ended up ordering a 4” stand from Marc Levenson because I want the option to have my skimmer in a level of water if I add any to my sump. Also, it got my skimmer off of the wobbly stack of egg crate.

For what it’s worth, I held mine at the 7-8” water level for a few minutes, and it worked well. I suspect that the manufacturer’s recommendation is accurate.

How long have you had it running in it’s current water level?

I guess I’ve only been at the new level for about a week, so maybe time will correct the issue (not sure what exactly will change over time, but people say to wait).

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back