How to Get of Spirorbid Worms Infestation?

SneaksMcdoogle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for you message.
Yesterday i got a melanarus wrasse, very blue.
Let's see if he starts eating the spirobid worms.

Wish me luck! [emoji4]
Did the meanarus work? I’m dealing with early stages of these dang worms, Iv been scrapping off my glass and my snails, for the past thre weeks, but now they are starting to show up on my rock work.

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20230520_090959.jpg

These suckers are growing right on my zoa stalks. Zoas dont seem to mind but i do. Any one try a tiny puffer. I would think they would mash these suckers. But maybe the zoa with it?

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do *NOT* go for a bumblebee snails.

They will go for your regular snails before they every go for the spirorbid worms, so they'll kill your clean up crew before they start going after what you actually want them to eat.
Maybe you had killer Bumble Bee Snails. I have a dozen and have never seen them harming my other snails. I only see them in crevasses of my rock

FlyPenFly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe the bumblebee snail thing is like Peppermint Shrimp with glass anemones. You have to get the exact right kind.

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to chime in after reading all these posts. I never had these annoying white worms till I bought a single blue mushroom frag that was attached to a small piece of live rock. After a month or so I got the same problem. I did notice something odd and now I can validate what's going on. Part of my CUC consisted of a few bumble bee snails and they didn't seem to do much after my tank was cycled.

I then cracked a joke to my wife about my bumble bee snails must have a mushroom fetish because low and behold they never leave that piece of Rock that the mushroom was attached to and now I know why. Even after doing my Coral dips when I received them, I guess they can survive the dip itself. Anyways the bumblebees are actually munching away on those little white pests and they do not leave the rock the mushroom is on. I did notice that they were starting to grow under the mushroom and didn't think much of it until it started to spread all over the side and back glass. They are slowly but surely cleaning the small piece of Rock so I'm expecting after they've totally wiped out that piece of Rock they will start the venture off to their next area and clean them up as well. I'm probably going to order 10 of them on my next order and that should slowly eradicate these unsightly white specks that are starting to cover a lot of The Rock.

I found if I scrape them off the glass with a razor they don't come back nearly as fast when I used to squish them.

I always thought my tank was doing something different that caused the bumblebees to basically go dormant but now I realize they found the main host and are taking care of it and the rock is nearly clean now.

My advice would be to get some bumblebee snails and physically place them on a piece of Rock and see if they kind of hang out in the same spot without moving around too much. If that's the case then that validates my observation.

ReefEco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are looking for a tool to scrape them off the rock, you can check out the new ReefTool - it is designed exactly for this and for vermatids, with a snipe end with blade and hook, and the other end with a 3-spike rasping tool for large scale removal off rocks.

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have these dang things in my new WB, they did carry over from the smaller tank.

I introduced a six line and was bullied by my orchard dottyback for over a week. Now the dottyback is fine with the 6 line and the 6 line is constantly pecking at the rocks that's infested with these pests. What really bothers me is they are down in the AIO baffling system and I don't need them hindering flow if they explode. I just need something thin that I can install a razor blade on to get between the glass baffles.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back