How to Get of Spirorbid Worms Infestation?

Ty Hamatake

Hi, my name is Ty and I'm a Reefer...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ATB ! Let me know if the Melanarus Wrasse works ! I love the Mealanarus and I am thinking of adding him to my 2 Yellow and 1 six-line Wrasse ! BTW, my six-line is doing great with my others wrasses and fire gobys
Lucky :(

125gSW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a infestation too but not as bad as this! Wow that's a lot. Mine are on the glass and on the back as well and the filter area but never on the rocks yet. I see some mentioning the "natural" route. What are the options for that? I do have a fairy wrasse already in the tank but it doesnt seem to care about them. Also I read that they'll have a huge die off on their own once nutrients stabilize because initially they breed like crazy but will die once there are no surplus of nutrients for the extra population.

Jennie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for you message.
Yesterday i got a melanarus wrasse, very blue.
Let's see if he starts eating the spirobid worms.

Wish me luck! [emoji4]
Quarantine all fish for at least a month. The last thing you need is a parasite

OP
OP
A

Andy G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ATB ! Let me know if the Melanarus Wrasse works ! I love the Mealanarus and I am thinking of adding him to my 2 Yellow and 1 six-line Wrasse ! BTW, my six-line is doing great with my others wrasses and fire gobys
Melanarus Wrasse did not work, did not eat the spirobid worms.

wesman42

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am reviving this because I am going through something veeeeery similar to this and it's pretty screwed up. I'm thinking about dosing something for parasitic worms...but not too sure.

Lollipop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am reviving this because I am going through something veeeeery similar to this and it's pretty screwed up. I'm thinking about dosing something for parasitic worms...but not too sure.
i am having the same situation and following along. ive read Vayssierea felis, a sea slug specie eats them. if anyone got these slugs, please contact me and sell them to me!

ReefJedi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this problem too and my six line does not eat it (or at least in any controllable way). I scraped most of them off a few weeks ago and now I see thousands of small white dots again.

It's interesting though -- it only seems to grow on the back glass and not the front glass. The back is painted black (on the outside) and doesn't get as much light. Is anyone else seeing these worms growing where there's not as much direct lighting?

redpine42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine only grow on the back of the glass and dark side of rocks.

Jcat2k

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting that there appears to be no good fix. I have a bit of an outbreak myself.

Lollipop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone who has Vayssierea felis, please post here! we all want them!
images.jpg

Livinlocal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are a little pricey, but bumblebee snails might clear them out. They are carnivorous, and eat all sorts of worms.

ReefJedi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stopped dosing vinegar and that slowed down the growth of spirorbid worms. I think Randy said that carbon dosing feeds filter feeders, so that would make sense. I wonder if there's a correlation between spirorbid worms and dosing?

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These guys have always been a stage in tanks that I have run, they show up sometime in the first year by the thousands then suddenly the population crashes and nearly all of them disappear. Most seem to reside under rocks and in the sump now. I’ve personally never worried about them, right or wrong that’s how it’s always played out for me.

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Rick.45cal did your spirorbid population crash correlate with the addition of any filter feeders or lower carbon dosing?

Not that I can think of they just went away as the tank matured. Not really sure there was any correlation to anything I was doing. I’ve always carbon dosed on this tank and have never ceased doing it so I don’t think that’s it.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing chalk, KZ Coral snow , binds organics from the water.
Also used for stopping vermatid snail and cyano.

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this problem too and my six line does not eat it (or at least in any controllable way). I scraped most of them off a few weeks ago and now I see thousands of small white dots again.

It's interesting though -- it only seems to grow on the back glass and not the front glass. The back is painted black (on the outside) and doesn't get as much light. Is anyone else seeing these worms growing where there's not as much direct lighting?
Same for me. None on the front glass

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 82.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back