How to Get of Spirorbid Worms Infestation?

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the 6 line eats them then that's a great free food source. Many years ago I had a dozen or so (clear ones) and seemly overnight they exploded into hundreds and they were everywhere. That was in a tank 9-10 years ago, but I seem to remember a mix of white and red flatworms... or maybe two different epic plagues.

So many that they were obstructing much of the glass to see into the tank and the water column pretty saturated as well.

I don't remember anything "bad" happening other than clean-up was a bear. At the time, I really only had softies, a nem, and a few hammer/frogspawn/etc in the tank.
You are correct. I have read stories about flatworms getting to plague proportions, but I have not experienced that. And I attribute that to my wrasse. I thought about running some flatworm exit, but I have about 350 gallons in my system, so I would have to dump in a LOT of that to make a difference. Maybe I’ll take my 40 fuge offline for an hour or and dose the flatworm exit. But that'll only get rid of them in that tank. I won't be able to guarantee they'll be gone everywhere unless I treat the whole system.

Aldrinlights

Reeth Huthbandry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following this long running thread. I added a piece of live rock that had "some" on them and now they are exploding all over all of my live rock. I want them gone. I'm going to try adding bumblebee snails and see what happens. Will update as this evolves.

Hooknit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have and outbreak of these critters. I have no clue how they got introduced into tank but they are taking off horrible. I also have a six line that does not seem to even dent the population of them. I believe I will try bumble bee snails at this point. These things are even growing on my emerald crab.

FortLivingRoom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have and outbreak of these critters. I have no clue how they got introduced into tank but they are taking off horrible. I also have a six line that does not seem to even dent the population of them. I believe I will try bumble bee snails at this point. These things are even growing on my emerald crab.
I found mine just kind of went away over time. My bumblebees didn’t touch them. They are filter feeders, and I was feeding a lot of rods food which puts a lot of fine particles into the water. I do mostly pellets now and feed rods twice a week, I barely notice them now.

corky1618

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don’t worry about them. 6 line wrasse keeps them in control. They don’t hurt anything. Not all flatworms are bad.
I had a six line wrasse that did nothing to control them. There are a lot of things that don't hurt but there needs to be a balance. If you let that balance swing one way or another, it is still an imbalance.

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Experts, having the same problem.. Population started to double over the last few days...
20211109_220549.jpg
20211109_220542.jpg

Have a couple of bumblebees (added much earlier then this bloom) but did not see them touching these worms.

Hope to find a good solution.. thanks.

RicanKing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have them too, only corilation to other reefer is that I too was also feeding rods food. Up until today I was feeding rods food every night. I will have to start minimizing how much I actually use.

Nabs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do *NOT* go for a bumblebee snails.

They will go for your regular snails before they every go for the spirorbid worms, so they'll kill your clean up crew before they start going after what you actually want them to eat.

RicanKing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They will go for your regular snails before they every go for the spirorbid worms, so they'll kill your clean up crew before they start going after what you actually want them to eat.
Thank you for this information I will research this.

Grumblez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It can happen supposedly, but I've never seen it actually happen. Mine happily eat spirorbid and other filter feeders.

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have them. I had a lot at one time, but they seem to be declining in numbers lately. Occasionally I'll scrap them off the wall. The last time I scraped, they just didn't really come back very strong.

I've seen some on the rocks, but very few, and they don't bother me at all on the rocks because coral will be covering them before long. It's the back glass I want them off of.

I have a sixline wrasse and a cleaner wrasse. I seriously doubt either of them touch them. I've never once seen them picking at one.

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have them. I had a lot at one time, but they seem to be declining in numbers lately. Occasionally I'll scrap them off the wall. The last time I scraped, they just didn't really come back very strong.

I've seen some on the rocks, but very few, and they don't bother me at all on the rocks because coral will be covering them before long. It's the back glass I want them off of.

I have a sixline wrasse and a cleaner wrasse. I seriously doubt either of them touch them. I've never once seen them picking at one.
What changed... that made them go away?

Rohirrimus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These things grow on everything, sensors included, except coral tissue. They will grow into the thousands and compete with corals for food.

They are impossible to control, so I chose therapy instead.
someone should tell mine this, they are growing all over Zoa bodies

Last edited:

EugeneVan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a chance to get hold of the bumble bee snail. Give it a try. Mine did a great job

EugeneVan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have luck with bumble snails? I have a couple bumblebees but they stay busy with detritus in some nooks, thinking about adding more.
Mine bumble snails work really well. I have 5 in my 210 bare bottom tank. No sand for them to play with. They have to do what they are good at :)

SoFlo Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am very surprised no one has suggested Prazi. I would think a round of prazi would wipe these out pretty quickly. It is reef safe with the exception of worms, so the only collateral would be feather dusters, bristle worms, and other hitchhikers.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 22 78.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 2 7.1%
Back