How to get PBT to eat? Semi - emergency

LilsReefTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got a baby/small PBT. I created a grow out environment specifically for this lil' one. I have 7 different type of macro algae growing, seaweed clips and trying various pellet foods. The tank is 3 feet long (40g) and the PBT is about 3".

Acclimation and introduction to the tank was luckily very smooth. There was no aggression at all, and no frettish behavior from anyone. The PBT does not seemed stress and just swims arounds the explores the tank. She has a very calm temperament. The back area of my tank has high power flow. When she needs to stretch her fins she goes back there and swims hards for a bit and then comes back to the front when she wants to chill.

I can't get her to eat much tho. My tank is bare bottom with a thin film of algae growing on it. She would prefer to spend the day licking that then eat whatever is there. The rest of my babies (hippo, sailfin, clown, wrasse) have great appetites and eat very well with no type of fighting. I was hoping that she would observe their behavior and try it out but no such luck.

Anything I can dooooooo? I got her a bit underweight from LA. But otherwise no sign of any disease.

OP
OP
LilsReefTank

LilsReefTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump. Someone Pliz help we’re going on a week now and the PBT still doesn’t have an appetite

Topekoms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems to be a lot of fish for a small tank considering they are tangs. Did you do any QT with it before putting it in with the others? Have you tried any frozen food? Also what pellets are you using?

OP
OP
LilsReefTank

LilsReefTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nori rubber banded on a rock? Also I have always fed frozen mysis to all of my tangs, actually all fish. I've had better luck getting new fish to eat frozen food than I have any pellet or flake.
Tried that. She doesn’t take. She did eat frozen mysis one day so I was super relieved but then lost all interest again since

OP
OP
LilsReefTank

LilsReefTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems to be a lot of fish for a small tank considering they are tangs. Did you do any QT with it before putting it in with the others? Have you tried any frozen food? Also what pellets are you using?
The PBT is the biggest tang. The rest are reallllly tiny. LA sent a bigger one then I was expecting. I do have a 100g if need be, but really no one is stressed in this tank. Long story short - did not QT. I unfortunately have a tank that once had ich so it’s going to be ich management from here on out. Tried frozen (my sis and homemade) tried one formula pellets, various hikari herb Pellot, have all the macros algae variety planted in tank. But she just grazes and licks the rock and glass - but that is def not enough for her. Tried the garlic and ginger tricks and nadaaa!!! (The other fish are having a blast tho eating all the things lol)

OP
OP
LilsReefTank

LilsReefTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump (in case someone is having the problem as me)

Figured out how to get a diva PBT to eat. If trying many different food products does not work - try this method.

Use the nori in a manner that allows her to graze on it. I had the seaweed clip always in there but she would never touch it. (You can see it is still full while the other seaweed is all eaten up). My magnetic cleaner now doubles as seaweed clip but I only expose a fine line of seaweed. Maybe a few cm around. She immediately knew what to do and starts eating it. (***** annoying but buys enough time to keep the PBT alive while you train it to feed on other food. She was getting so skinny I was at a loss of what to do until I tried this)

Hope this helps anyone out there!!

Attachments

• IMG_8269 (2).jpg
    IMG_8269 (2).jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 33

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't keep any of those tangs in a tank that small. Aggression is probably happening while not watching.

OP
OP
LilsReefTank

LilsReefTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try soaking some pellets in selcon and garlic extract. My pbt is pretty picky but goes crazy for pellets
Oooh okay, I’m going to have to try that. I want to make her fat and happy haha. Which pellets do you use?

OP
OP
LilsReefTank

LilsReefTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't keep any of those tangs in a tank that small. Aggression is probably happening while not watching.
For sureeee this is not the long term plan. I have a larger tank but it’s not quite right for them yet. I can’t imagine trying to feed the babies with a 100 gallon just yet.

no aggression right now. I work from home most days and my tank it next to my desk in my room. I pretty much watch them all day. I would not risk keeping them together if I saw them stressing. This hobby is TOO EXPENSIVE - trust I’m not trying to spend more money rebuying livestock haha. Or would have started with such a sensitive fish if I thought my current tank conditions/personality of fish wouldn’t be compatible.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back