How To Get Rid Of Aiptasia On Rock

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a huge problem with Aiptasia in my Coral QT a few months ago and after trying AIptasiaX with limited success and failure, I decided to get an army of Peppermint Shrimp and that did the trick. I thought I was home free, but yesterday I noticed something moving on my rock in my DT. After turning off all flow and looking down from the top I was very upset to realize that there were about 5 Aiptasia growing on it. I went over the entire tank and do not see it anywhere else yet.

So I am planning on removing the rock today and hope that is the end of that. If not I will have to get a larger army of Peppermint Shrimp for my DT. My question is, how do I get rid of the Aiptasia on the rock? Can I just run it under hot tap water for 15 minutes or so? Or would I be better off just throwing it out? I really like the rock and it fits perfect in the place it goes and I really want to put it back and I do not want to use any chemicals in my DT AT ALL. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance! ;Happy

SHNICI

Well-Known Member and Coral Cabin owner
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a huge problem with Aiptasia in my Coral QT a few months ago and after trying AIptasiaX with limited success and failure, I decided to get an army of Peppermint Shrimp and that did the trick. I thought I was home free, but yesterday I noticed something moving on my rock in my DT. After turning off all flow and looking down from the top I was very upset to realize that there were about 5 Aiptasia growing on it. I went over the entire tank and do not see it anywhere else yet.

So I am planning on removing the rock today and hope that is the end of that. If not I will have to get a larger army of Peppermint Shrimp for my DT. My question is, how do I get rid of the Aiptasia on the rock? Can I just run it under hot tap water for 15 minutes or so? Or would I be better off just throwing it out? I really like the rock and it fits perfect in the place it goes and I really want to put it back and I do not want to use any chemicals in my DT AT ALL. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance! ;Happy
Under tap water it will be fine and will kill all the aiptasia for sure

SHNICI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
after you wash it a bit you can sink it in a RO/DI water for a while with pump in a bucket to wash away most of the chemicals which trap in the LR from the tap water. After try to dry it much as possible (only not in the oven) to can escape the leftover chlorine and chloramine from the LR, or you can use Seachem Prime in the RO/DI to take them off if present and after you dry it out from the RO/DO (a bit not to dilute your salinity if the rock is big/large peace)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
If its a few, I simply inject via syringe kalkwasser powder mixed into a thin paste and watch them melt

SHNICI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had good luck with cooking them with a soldering iron (with the rock out of the water). I rinse with old tank water after.
I prefer that way if I don't want to kill the entire creatures in the LR. just with the soldering iron or with soldering fire torch I heat up the spot enough, but be careful bad smell will appear and you can get poisonous gasses which can occur. (Safety measurements better to be taken )

OP
OP
Marco S

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
after you wash it a bit you can sink it in a RO/DI water for a while with pump in a bucket to wash away most of the chemicals which trap in the LR from the tap water. After try to dry it much as possible (only not in the oven) to can escape the leftover chlorine and chloramine from the LR, or you can use Seachem Prime in the RO/DI to take them off if present and after you dry it out from the RO/DO (a bit not to dilute your salinity if the rock is big/large peace)
I will try this. It is not a large rock, just a really cool shape that I like. I will try a bit of boiling water as well as the tap water and then rinse it really good with RO/DI and let dry for a day or two.

Thanks everyone for the advice! ;Happy

SHNICI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will try this. It is not a large rock, just a really cool shape that I like. I will try a bit of boiling water as well as the tap water and then rinse it really good with RO/DI and let dry for a day or two.

Thanks everyone for the advice! ;Happy
you can try something else better:
Take RO/DI water, boil the water only. After put the LR in.

SHNICI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have on mind that way you will kill everything on/in it, including the coralline algae, and if there is some it will bleach.
After again in RO/DI with pump in to get out most of the stuff from the LR (you can change 1-2 times the RO/DI water to get much as possible out.
Don't put the rock in the water during boiling, and after you put it in the water, take it out of your home/hose because the evaporations can get something bad/poisonous

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back