How to get rid of slime

Andy_P

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just finished a Dr. Tim's cycle on an IM Fusion 20 gallon nano and now I have a bad slime problem.. Like real bad. Took out my Sicce pump, it's all over the glass, all over my scape.. It's not cyano, it's not green, it's not brown, it's just this opaque clear slime. What the heck is it and how do I get rid of it? Tank has been running for 2ish weeks, no lights, no fish. Just added 1 astrea & 1 hermit 2 days ago to see if there was any chance a CUC would help. Not much. Lol. Never had a slime problem with any other tank, but this is also my 1st fish less cycle. Is it normal? Running 1 filter sock and 1 IM purity pack in a caddy but it doesn't seem to be helping. I've taken a toothbrush and glass scraper to everything but it just doesn't go away. Just did a 90% water change after I stirred it all up, but it doesn't seem to have helped. Do I wait it out and change filtration to 2 socks? Up water changes to 2 or 3 a week? I just picked up a new Sicce and some Fritz 460 today, but don't really feel like losing another pump.. Help. Lol

Turned the lights on when I 1st set it up to see how it looked and they've been off ever since. Literally haven't even been on the tank for the last 2 weeks..

20221203_235403.jpg

OP
OP
A

Andy_P

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
params? did you use RODI water? Are you sure its not a bacterial bloom?
Only params I've checked have been ammonia, salinity, and temp. Ammonia is back to 0 after dosing to 2 ppm with Dr. Tim's, salinity is 1.025, temp is 73-74. Water purchased (mixed) from my LFS is the same water that I've used in my other tank with 0 issues. Substrate and bio media is from a mature tank (3+ years), re-cycled after I set up the tank this time.

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like an old fashion bacterial bloom, which is to be expected during tank cycling, although not always that severe. I would just wait.

timthetoolman1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m having the same problem after 2 weeks. I used the bags of live sand but out a small rock out of my established tank. The slime is everywhere. Did yours go away?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 31 83.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.4%
Back