How to get rid of Zoa eating Nudibranch?

CoralReefer1019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm finding some Nudibranch on my tank glass moving around and on and around my zoas. I have a lot of Zoas and don't want to remove each frag to treat separately. Any help on how to stop them? Maybe a chemical treatment Flatworm Exit, a fish to eat them? Thanks

7e3a9ebdaf772748835c40663a7ef777.jpg

danschoenherr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Manual removal with a tweezers and I got a yellow choris wrasse. I put a rectangular pyrex dish full of sand in the tank for him to sleep in......one of my favorite fish

OP
OP
CoralReefer1019

CoralReefer1019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Manual removal with a tweezers and I got a yellow choris wrasse. I put a rectangular pyrex dish full of sand in the tank for him to sleep in......one of my favorite fish

I read that Yellow Coris Wrasses can do good in a Bare Bottom tank. Do they eat all kinds of reef tank bugs?

Deniss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 6 line would work too, mine is always searching the rocks. He sleeps in a cave, in my rocks never in the sand.

Deniss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He came last, so this prob helped in keeping his temper down. For now ( 2 months) he leaves the fish and shrimp alone. He is a hunter for sure, non stop he is searching the rocks. Since i added him, my bristleworms are gone.

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow or green coris wrasses have worked wonders for me in the past. With my propagation system being as large as it is I simply couldn't dip everything every day, so 4 yellow coris took care of it. They're always hunting around for things to eat.

OP
OP
CoralReefer1019

CoralReefer1019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow or green coris wrasses have worked wonders for me in the past. With my propagation system being as large as it is I simply couldn't dip everything every day, so 4 yellow coris took care of it. They're always hunting around for things to eat.

I'm leaning towards a yellow coris Wrasse

OP
OP
CoralReefer1019

CoralReefer1019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look into flatworm exit.

yes I have looked into this product and it does work but I also read when the nudibranchs die they give off a poison and can hurt the water quality. I really like the idea of a natural predator like a yellow coris wrasse, green coris or a melanrus wrasse (if I get a dish filled with sand) since I run a bare bottom

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Technically "yellow coris" is halichoeres chrysus; not to be confused with true "coris" which can be non-reef friendly. 6 line wrasses (and anything in the pseudocheilinus family) are notoriously aggressive, and preclude any other wrasses. Any sand dwelling wrasses, Halichoeres, macropharyngodon (leopards), Anampses, and Coris should have some sand for them to sleep in. Can you have them without sand? Sure, but that's probably not good for the fish long term. If you want strictly a pest eater which doesn't require any sand a 6 line would be a good choice.

OP
OP
CoralReefer1019

CoralReefer1019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Technically "yellow coris" is halichoeres chrysus; not to be confused with true "coris" which can be non-reef friendly. 6 line wrasses (and anything in the pseudocheilinus family) are notoriously aggressive, and preclude any other wrasses. Any sand dwelling wrasses, Halichoeres, macropharyngodon (leopards), Anampses, and Coris should have some sand for them to sleep in. Can you have them without sand? Sure, but that's probably not good for the fish long term. If you want strictly a pest eater which doesn't require any sand a 6 line would be a good choice.

they say 6 Line can be aggressive and if I want to add fish later also it might harass my blueside fairy and my carpenter flash

CherBear811

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I had a bit of an infestation of the harmless FW's a while back and then a regenerated purigen bottomed out my ph too low to read on my test and crashed the tank. They were completely eradicated by the crash. I saw several floating around dead and the tank has been stable for 2 months now with no sight of any of them. But, before the crash I was really close to pulling the trigger on getting a yellow coris as pest control. But I actually prefer the female divided leopards more (I know a lone female will probably turn male eventually). Do you think both the yellow and leopards are equally good at pest control?

I also have something in my tank munching on zoas. I can't figure out what it is. I am leaning towards zoa spider because the crash didn't kill it. Do you think the wrasses would pick on zoa spiders too?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 61 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back