how to get rid

ClownFish664

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there, anyone tell me how to rid of this type of algae? It's a small nano reef at 50l. It is still in its early stages, t about 6 months ish now so not sure if it will just go on its own?

Parameters below

Amonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 1
Phosphate - 0.02
pH - 8
Alk - 7.8
Cal - 410
Mag - 1320

Thanks

Screenshot_20210807-151133.jpg Screenshot_20210807-151131.jpg Screenshot_20210807-151129.jpg

Queen City Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like hair algae, I have a few questions, what lights are you running and what schedule are they on? How many fish do you have and how much are you feeding? Depending on your answers to those questions I would recommend decreasing your white light and any red and green, I would also recommend running the lights for 6-8 hours a day. I think that you should start by just taking the rock out and scrubbing the algae off with a toothbrush into a bucket with tank water in order to get rid of the algae, but without other measures it will most likely come back after manual removal.

OP
OP
ClownFish664

ClownFish664

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im using an AI prime with a modified Saxby setting show on the image. It's on for quite some time but I think the hair algae was a by product of my high nitrtaes about 2 weeks ago which are now completely down now. I have just lowrer the green and red on this today too so hopefully it should help

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210807-193149.jpg
    Screenshot_20210807-193149.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 27
OP
OP
ClownFish664

ClownFish664

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like hair algae, I have a few questions, what lights are you running and what schedule are they on? How many fish do you have and how much are you feeding? Depending on your answers to those questions I would recommend decreasing your white light and any red and green, I would also recommend running the lights for 6-8 hours a day. I think that you should start by just taking the rock out and scrubbing the algae off with a toothbrush into a bucket with tank water in order to get rid of the algae, but without other measures it will most likely come back after manual removal.
Oh I also lowrer my whites today too

Queen City Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im using an AI prime with a modified Saxby setting show on the image. It's on for quite some time but I think the hair algae was a by product of my high nitrtaes about 2 weeks ago which are now completely down now. I have just lowrer the green and red on this today too so hopefully it should help
I used to run Saxby on my tank as well, I liked it but I did notice some of algae growth from the greens and reds. I think if you got your nitrates lowered then I would just manually remove it with a toothbrush and it shouldn't come back.

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your rock looks sterile at the moment and since you have the odd coral in not much I think you can play with the lights.
This is part of the process of maturing the rocks and likely will be gone by itself when coralline takes off.
reducing the whites and reds may help but I would concentrate on manual removal and some snails and hermits to help the process.
your water parameters looks good for a new tank and if you keep this levels steady this will be gone soon.

OP
OP
ClownFish664

ClownFish664

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your rock looks sterile at the moment and since you have the odd coral in not much I think you can play with the lights.
This is part of the process of maturing the rocks and likely will be gone by itself when coralline takes off.
reducing the whites and reds may help but I would concentrate on manual removal and some snails and hermits to help the process.
your water parameters looks good for a new tank and if you keep this levels steady this will be gone soon.
Yes, I am hoping it will grow soon. I am stocking more too. I have 3 hermits in there so fingers crossed thank you for your help

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, Ian hoping it will grow soon. I am stocking more too. I have 3 hermits in there so fingers crossed thank you for your help
Put a peace of rock/shell with coralline on it. You can use coralline scrapings from an another tank too. In the US you can buy coralline in the bottle which works fine as per those used it.
get some snails too they do excellent jobs in my tank.

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m running around the same setting at 50% no whites reds or green

Attachments

• B841DDEF-A39C-4FD1-98D1-562E22D27C6E.png
    B841DDEF-A39C-4FD1-98D1-562E22D27C6E.png
    198 KB · Views: 32

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back