how to get that cool rotating ball of Chaeto?

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been growing out some Chaeto in the fuge section of my sump. Seems to be growing and doing well, but it just sits on the bottom of the fuge. I've seen videos of other folks who have this floating ball slowly rotating. Is it just that I have low flow through my sump or is there some magic trick here?

Untitled by Peter Young, on Flickr

ThePurple12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen some people place a powerhead at the top right corner and one at the bottom left. This creates a current that rotates the Chaeto in the center.

It's not necessary at all for the Chaeto to rotate BTW

OP
OP
PedroYoung

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen some people place a powerhead at the top right corner and one at the bottom left. This creates a current that rotates the Chaeto in the center.

thanks for the reply. Yeah, it's doing well, I was just curious. Thought maybe my Chaeto was just lazy or something :p. Does it get more buoyant as it grows larger or does all Chaeto sink?

Thaxxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Maybe not necessary, but I know mine does much better and grows faster rotating

WirelessMike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had mine rotating in the fuge but as it grew it would find a dead flow area and sink. Ended up making a chaeto basket and it’s been growing strong since that change in tactics

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been growing out some Chaeto in the fuge section of my sump. Seems to be growing and doing well, but it just sits on the bottom of the fuge. I've seen videos of other folks who have this floating ball slowly rotating. Is it just that I have low flow through my sump or is there some magic trick here?

Untitled by Peter Young, on Flickr
Can I just point out that is a COOL *** set-up you have there...j/s It looks like you get some light spill into your protein skimmer chamber and your sock area from the grow light...I had the same and added a shade, no more spillage

Attachments

• 20210125_182815.jpg
    20210125_182815.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 170
  • 20210125_103405.jpg
    20210125_103405.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 163
OP
OP
PedroYoung

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I just point out that is a COOL *** set-up you have there...j/s It looks like you get some light spill into your protein skimmer chamber and your sock area from the grow light...I had the same and added a shade, no more spillage
I like that!! same light i have. Did you fab that yourself? Thanks for the compliment on the setup. Took me almost 4 yrs to get it wet!!

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like that!! same light i have. Did you fab that yourself? Thanks for the compliment on the setup. Took me almost 4 yrs to get it wet!!
No I had another user @ludnix on here to print it for me...I think he is based out of CA...but it works for me since my refugium Fiji 36 has polycarbonate clear covers, the shade just sits on top of it and I also purchased two black acrylic pieces to block other areas of the refugium compartment so that light will only stay in that section...

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Somebody a while back posted about inserting foam into the chaeto mass. clever.

I bought 2 cups of chaeto online and it was sinking and staying at the bottom. I put some foam cuts "I used the white foam from the API test kit" inside the cheato ball and now it floats and tumble like a champ ;)
(Quote links to the original thread.)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back