How to get the most out of this sump space? (Photo attached)

kropa008

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I have been reading some negative reviews on the current trickle down carbon pad and bio ball system that I am running. I know this isn't an ideal sump setup, but it's the only one I can fit underneath my corner tank. I'm just looking to get the absolute most out of this space. So I was recommended to remove the bio balls and carbon pad and replace that space with a filter sock. Then place a ceramic block under that. Is this the best thing I could do? I don't have much room to work with. Would it be more beneficial to keep the carbon pad and fill the empty bioball space with more water and place my skimmer on a ceramic block for extra height? Lastly are there pros and cons of keeping ceramic balls vs ceramic blocks? Can you have too much media? I'm looking forward to reading your suggestions and thank you for your time! :)
81FE7F90-5D48-4A7D-A3CE-D319569A8F42.jpeg

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would replace bio-balls with chaeto and a grow light in first chamber. You could use filter socks but I don't use them, I let the chaeto & skimmer do the filtering.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

kropa008

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would replace bio-balls with chaeto and a grow light in first chamber. You could use filter socks but I don't use them, I let the chaeto & skimmer do the filtering.
Thanks for the response! Probably a stupid question here. Forgive me for I am a novice and have never dabbled with chaeto, but can the grow light get wet? I'm not sure how to reconfigure the sump so that the drain water would go around the grow area.

Upvote 0

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This one can get wet

Upvote 0
Solution
OP
OP
K

kropa008

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This one can get wet

This one looks great. Thank you! I have to do my research on chaeto algae now.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

kropa008

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also can I use a refugium and ceramic block? Or is that too much?

Upvote 0

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response! Probably a stupid question here. Forgive me for I am a novice and have never dabbled with chaeto, but can the grow light get wet? I'm not sure how to reconfigure the sump so that the drain water would go around the grow area.
Not a stupid question. They make magnetic lights or I've seen people tape an LED light to the side of the sump. I have magnafuge lights on mine (I don't think they're available anymore) magnet goes in sump lights stick to outside of sump. You could easily DIY one. https://aqua-dreams.com/products/innovative-marine-magna-fuge-led-lighting?variant=366853337
Also can I use a refugium and ceramic block? Or is that too much?
Sure you can do both

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

kropa008

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

kropa008

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I have been reading some negative reviews on the current trickle down carbon pad and bio ball system that I am running. I know this isn't an ideal sump setup, but it's the only one I can fit underneath my corner tank. I'm just looking to get the absolute most out of this space. So I was recommended to remove the bio balls and carbon pad and replace that space with a filter sock. Then place a ceramic block under that. Is this the best thing I could do? I don't have much room to work with. Would it be more beneficial to keep the carbon pad and fill the empty bioball space with more water and place my skimmer on a ceramic block for extra height? Lastly are there pros and cons of keeping ceramic balls vs ceramic blocks? Can you have too much media? I'm looking forward to reading your suggestions and thank you for your time! :)
81FE7F90-5D48-4A7D-A3CE-D319569A8F42.jpeg
Just an update on the current sump situation. I have removed the bioballs and have added some ceramic media with some chaeto algae and a 50w grow light that had very good reviews for refugiums on Amazon. I also have some Marinepure on the way since it wasn't in stock at any local stores near me. Does anyone see anything wrong on this setup or have any ideas on how to improve it? I appreciate all of your input!
B52E6F63-D891-4E4A-8645-23EEC29F8BD1.jpeg

Upvote 0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back