How to glue a internal overflow box to non-flat acrylic surface

xeanliao

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I am attaching a small internal overflow box to a used 75g acrylic tank, and I just found out that the surface is not fat when the overflow box lays on the surface: about 1/8 inch gap!

It seems not idea to use the watery acrylic glue, do you think so? Do you think I can use heat gun to soften acrylic surface and use clamps to force to eliminate the gap while applying the watery glue? or given it is a small overflow box, perhaps silicone glue would be good enough? Or ???

This is my first time ever working with acrylic and did not think thru enough before getting this used acrylic tank :-(. Please share your thoughts or freely share what you would do.

Screen Shot 2021-02-01 at 9.32.27 AM.png

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weld on #16 might work. When dry apply a good second bead as a secondary seal.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Google “amazing goop”. Get marine or plumbers version. Really is amazing how well it works. Have it on my sump for 10 years and still stupid strong

OP
OP
X

xeanliao

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Google “amazing goop”. Get marine or plumbers version. Really is amazing how well it works. Have it on my sump for 10 years and still stupid strong
It looks promising. Thank you!.
When applying it, would you recommend applying it with or without force to eliminate the gap? wondering if I should use it to "bound" two piece together, or should I use it to "fill" the gap?

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks promising. Thank you!.
When applying it, would you recommend applying it with or without force to eliminate the gap? wondering if I should use it to "bound" two piece together, or should I use it to "fill" the gap?
It’s pretty thick, you might be able to do both with one application

Augus7us

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glue the overflow to a flat piece, then glue the flat piece to the tank. Drill through. What I would likely do.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back