How to grow plenty of sponge?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do I grow a lot of sponge in my tank? I want to attempt to load my rocks with different live sponges and attempt a moorish idol.

This is not a quick thing I’m attempting here. I want to grow a large steady population of sponge for many many months before I get the moorish idol, but I want to see if having live sponges can help keep a moorish idol long term.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do I grow a lot of sponge in my tank? I want to attempt to load my rocks with different live sponges and attempt a moorish idol.

This is not a quick thing I’m attempting here. I want to grow a large steady population of sponge for many many months before I get the moorish idol, but I want to see if having live sponges can help keep a moorish idol long term.

Sponges need darkness and like silicates, but you might not be able to grow enough sponges to keep up.

Need to buy a great and healthy specimen to get the upper hand.

@Anirban
What food do you feed your Moorish?

Thanks!

dank reefer

IG: dankreefer_IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My vote would be to do nothing. Sponges will take hold once a tank has reached its maturity, and you might change your tune once it starts growing.

If you have some space to add a cryptic tank then allow it to grow in there and keep it out of your tank.

Back