How to handle salt creep around the rim of the tank

Rick's Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I am getting quite a bit of salt creep along the waterline in my tank as well as around my synergy reef overflow. This is my first reef tank with a lot of water flow. My previous tank had very little water disturbance along the glass or the corner overflow so I don't remember getting nearly this much salt creep.

When cleaning my glass, the salt creep is easily dislodged. Is it okay to let just settle into the tank and dissolve? It does so readily, but if a large "flake" of salt creep lands on coral tissue, cold it cause any damage? I suspect it is not the same as fresh salt crystals which need to be mixed separately, but then I am no expect, either.

Thanks for your feedback!

sweendog87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do some research im pretty sure salt creep is bad to go back into your system try to wipe it off with a wet cloth so it will stick to it and won't fall into display

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salt creep will def injure any coral it lands on! I like to use old credit cards to scrape it off into a towel . my refugium top is constantly getting covered!

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best way to stop salt creep is preventing splashing, bubbles, or anything that would cause salt water to get up in the air.

skiergd011013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its ok if a little bit falls in, but dont do it on purpose. It is usually dirty and covered in hair/dust, and will irritate whatever it lands on. I just cup my hand outside the tank, and push it into my hand once in a while.

FloodWaters

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wipe my salt creep off with a damp paper towel. It's important to look at cords or any micro splashing sources as other people have said. You probably won't be able to spot the source without a time lapse camera, but you can eliminate most of the potential sources before it comes to that.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back