How to Id algae

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any tricks to id diatoms or cyano? I thought I read a thread about using a coffee filter or something but I can't find it.

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diatoms

diatom algae image via reef2reef member @Steven R

Diatoms are a brown dusty life form that consumes silicates. There is no avoiding Diatoms during their initial bloom. Leave it be. Let it go crazy. Before you know it, the brown stuff will soon start to change colors. Generally red, this is the start of the next stage!

Cyanobacteria

cyanobacteria image via reef2reef member @Murfman

Cyanobacteria will now begin its course. Again you will let the slime just do its thing. This will be the nastiest of the stages. Cyanobacteria can gross some people out, especially if they catch a whiff of it. It is best to leave it be. It will start to clear up eventually. The clearing of the slime makes way for yet another stage.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know about the coffee filter trick no.
But as I recall as cyano is a soft bodied organisim it's slimy. A diatom has a solid skeleton made with silicates and minerals. So it may feel or appear dusty. This may allow it to be steamed I suppose.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Diatoms

diatom algae image via reef2reef member @Steven R

Diatoms are a brown dusty life form that consumes silicates. There is no avoiding Diatoms during their initial bloom. Leave it be. Let it go crazy. Before you know it, the brown stuff will soon start to change colors. Generally red, this is the start of the next stage!

Cyanobacteria

cyanobacteria image via reef2reef member @Murfman

Cyanobacteria will now begin its course. Again you will let the slime just do its thing. This will be the nastiest of the stages. Cyanobacteria can gross some people out, especially if they catch a whiff of it. It is best to leave it be. It will start to clear up eventually. The clearing of the slime makes way for yet another stage.
A prettier stage I hope:(

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That makes sense.

So cyano would pass thru?
Dino's won't?
Diatoms won't?

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the deal with the filter is whether the suspected algae/bacteria re-form their structure after passing through the filter. Only dinos will, or thats what i've heard.

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
fragit

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1126.JPG
IMG_1125.JPG
IMG_1124.JPG
IMG_1123.JPG
I'm pretty sure it's a combo or diatoms and cyano. I know there is cyano in my refugium. The algae in my DT seems to mostly be on the sand and is brown-rusty in color. Fades when lights are out. Algae on the rocks is red and blows off in filmy mats. Cerith snails seem to eat the algae on the sand and rocks, and trochus the algae on the rocks. Here's some picks of the sand. This is after a quick stir and some bubbles.

OP
OP
fragit

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have been there for almost a month now, maybe more I can't remember. I don't think my DI resign is toast but maybe. I'm getting 0 TDS before and after. They are a year old though. I will start by replacing those and maybe build up my clean up crew a little. Maybe try some phosgaurd too. What do you guy/gals think?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have been there for almost a month now, maybe more I can't remember. I don't think my DI resign is toast but maybe. I'm getting 0 TDS before and after. They are a year old though. I will start by replacing those and maybe build up my clean up crew a little. Maybe try some phosgaurd too. What do you guy/gals think?
Yea any binder should do.
How old is the set up?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back