How to incorporate a refugium into an Eshopps RS-75 sump with a HOB aquamaxx protein skimmer?

pjord500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like the title says, how to incorporate a refugium into an Eshopps RS-75 sump with a HOB aquamaxx protein skimmer? I was thinking of putting the hob protein skimmer in the entrance of the middle chamber, and then either placing walls of sponge filters I have extra from my unused canister filter, than place the chateo behind that. The terrible drawing is my basic idea of what I think might work.

Any thoughts, suggestions or warning would be appreciated.

1638671499475.png

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the HOB inside the sump or hanging on the sump? I don't understand what you want to acheive with the filter sponges. Couldn't chaeto just go in the middle chamber as is?

OP
OP
pjord500

pjord500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The HOB would hang on the side of the sump. I worry that the chateo might float into the protein skimmer and impact its effectiveness. I read that is why there are separate chambers for protein skimmers and refugiums. This is why I want to build a wall of some kind, whether just long sponge filters or some other material to stop the marco algae from going into the skimmer.

Back