How to increase nitrate … the proven way

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Hi reefers

Anyone have a method that they’ve been using for a long time to increase nitrates?

Please all recommendations are welcomed.

I have 16 fish in a 150 gallon. Refugium on 24/7 and Skimmer.

the feeding fish method I would say I’ve tried already since I’m dumping 7 frozen cubes and multiple flake feedings in between

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My favorite way is to bump up my fuge macro algae consumption to bring levels to zero then dose sodium nitrate back to maintain a consistent level

ScubaShane

MENTAL REEF DISORDER!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overfeed and turn off your protein skimmer. Don't change your filter sox. Easy peasy!

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Feed more and open the plug on your Skimmer and let the skimmer dump right into the tank.

Give it a few days....if that doesn't work you may need to add nitrate. ESV nitrate is what most of the old reefers use, which is this product listed by @Andrey Grodno
calcium nitrate. fertilizer.
Brightwells makes some aswell ;)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing food grade sodium nitrate is cheap and easy to control, and if your concern is guarantee, it cannot ever fail to raise nitrate to a desired target if you add suitable amounts.

Calcium nitrate was mentioned above, and it’s a great way too (better in some ways) but finding suitably pure calcium nitrate is not always easy.

OP
OP
jmichaelh7

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
My favorite way is to bump up my fuge macro algae consumption to bring levels to zero then dose sodium nitrate back to maintain a consistent level
Sodium nitrate increases nothing but nitrate? I’ve read calcium nitrate increases calcium too . I’m hanging around 480 ca already

OP
OP
jmichaelh7

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Feed more and open the plug on your Skimmer and let the skimmer dump right into the tank.

Give it a few days....if that doesn't work you may need to add nitrate. ESV nitrate is what most of the old reefers use, which is this product listed by @Andrey Grodno

Brightwells makes some aswell ;)
I mentioned calcium nitrate does increase calcium too or what I’ve read.

I like that idea of un plugging the skimmer port. Then phosphates would sky rocket too don’t you think?

I’m at 0.06 po4 i wouldn’t want both to get elevated no3 and po4. I turned the lighting on the refugium to 16 hours from 24 to see if that helps

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used food grade sodium Nitrate with great success. Cheap, Precise, super easy to mix and dose. Not a huge fan of over feeding tank in early stages of balancing nutrients and healthy biodiversity. Feed fish what they can eat with a little falling to cuc. Dose Nitrates and Phosphates if needed until regular feedings catch up. So much cleaner this way.

OP
OP
jmichaelh7

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I've used food grade sodium Nitrate with great success. Cheap, Precise, super easy to mix and dose. Not a huge fan of over feeding tank in early stages of balancing nutrients and healthy biodiversity. Feed fish what they can eat with a little falling to cuc. Dose Nitrates and Phosphates if needed until regular feedings catch up. So much cleaner this way.
I’m looking at it. Does sodium nitrate increase anything else

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking at it. Does sodium nitrate increase anything else
Not sure what else it may increase besides Nitrate and Sodium (to a small extent, I never noticed an increase in salinity) but I'll let pros respond on that one. I'd be more curious and concerned about what is overfeeding also increasing in a young tank during early stages of life's cycle. I just like the control of dosing nutrients all the way around.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more thing: dosing nitrate will increase alkalinity if nitrate is converted into nitrogen gas by anaerobic bacteria.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sodium nitrate increases nothing but nitrate? I’ve read calcium nitrate increases calcium too . I’m hanging around 480 ca already

Any nitrate dosing (and consumption) boosts alkalinity. 50 ppm nitrate boosts alk by 2.3 dKH.

The calcium is a bit better because it raises calcium and alk in a balanced fashion and doe snot cause any issues. But as I said, it is hard to find a pure DIY material.

Sodium itself is not a concern as you will never significantly alter the starting sodium concentration in seawater (10,800 ppm) unless you dose a lot over a very long time with no water changes.

Potassium nitrate dosing is a poor choice, IMO, because potassium can be substantially raised in just a few weeks. There is more potassium, by weight in potassium nitrate than there is sodium in sodium nitrate, and potassium starts at only 400 ppm in seawater.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 37.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 28.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back