How to increase solubility of Kalkwasser?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have purchased multiple sps on line with stn that recovered quickly, there colors never faded and showing signs of rapid growth. I only dose kalk and part c in a 100 gallon total water volume

I would just caution that the result may be inspite of the Part C and not because of it, and the accumulation of sulfate and other ions may continue to get worse.

it is adding magnesium, which is likely good, and potassium, which may be good, but driving up sulfate and lots of other minor ions may be undesirable.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you recommend to remove part c

If kalkwasser is the only alk and calcium additive, yes. It is not designed properly to be a general trace or magnesium additive.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using kalkwasser in my ATO. Of course the top layer gets a nice layer of calcium carbonate. When the water level is low, I add more RODI water and the calcium carbonate floats around the ATO.

Is this ok for? Does it eventually settle out or will it remain in suspension?
(I’m asking because I cleaned out the ATO because I didn’t want to risk anything so I’m not sure. )

I was also thinking of using a BRS dosing pump instead of the tunze pump for my ATO because BRS’s pump would get corroded from the kalk.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It likely even provides more protection from CO2 entering.
But how? The surface of the water is going to be exposed and I’m assuming more calcium carbonate will form regardless? I thought the layer created a seal which has the action of preventing more caco3 from forming?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But how? The surface of the water is going to be exposed and I’m assuming more calcium carbonate will form regardless? I thought the layer created a seal which has the action of preventing more caco3 from forming?

The solid provides a barrier to CO2 entering.

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stir it with a stirrer and keep up on the “refresh” (bonus points if you ph probe it and keep it up so you can monitor the true value of the solution), but if the tank is big enough and the sps/clams grow fast enough you will quickly “outrun” the kalk and have to supplemental dose or go with another method. Good luck!

be carful, you might get attacked by the 2 part police! Weeeeeeeeeee oooooooooo!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back