How to install an overflow box and drill an aquarium.

Have you ever drilled a glass aquarium?

• YES

Votes: 65 57.5%
  • NO

Votes: 48 42.5%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great video from BRS. I saw this is another thread and wanted to share it.

How many of you have ever drilled an aquarium? How many have succeeded and how many have failed? :crossedlips:

Last edited by a moderator:

wysiwyg

marine predator man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have drilled 3 and never failed yet. take your time have the right equipment and make sure you have a good idea of what your doing and youll be fine

cparka23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I drilled an ADA tank and the sump that I'm currently using.

Drilling a tank has a rep for being more difficult than it really is. I understand the anxiety of putting holes in the box that is supposed to hold water, but it's very simple to do. Once you have it started, it can be put on a mental autopilot. :)

Loki

My skimmate doesn't stink
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have drilled a few tanks and am trying to not drill one that's up and running. I want to drill it but I'm thinking it may be easier to have a hob overflow....

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve drilled a few holes!

Here are my comments and recommendations about drilling glass. It is very easy once you know what you’re doing. You’re an expert after your first hole.

1. Make sure the glass is not tempered. YOU CANNOT DRILL TEMPERED GLASS. If you are not sure is the glass is tempered, check with the manufacturer or use THIS simple method to determine temper. Don’t simply rely on the labels on the bottom of some tanks….they lie.

With the above method, I use a pair of polarized sunglasses and a netbook computer with Microsoft Word open. Works like a charm….just like in the article.

2. Use a jig to guide the drill bit (or the drill attachment show in the OP video from BRS). The overflow boxes I’ve gotten from Glass-Holes came with drill jig guides. This makes drilling a hole so much easier. If you don’t use a guide, the bit will want to “walk” around the glass. THIS video does show you how to start a hole without a guide (starting the bit at an angle), but the guide makes it sooooo much easier. I make guides out of scrape plexiglass. Here is an example of one of my jigs.

IMG_1269.jpg

I also use a little plumber’s putty so that now the jig also acts as the reservoir for the water. This gets taped down to the tank. Keep water in the reservoir at all times.

IMG_1271.jpg

3. Take your time! Let the bit do the cutting. Do not put any pressure on the drill. This is especially true when you are close to breaking through to the other side. If there is pressure on the drill, it will increase the likelihood of small pieces of glass breaking away from the hole.

IMG_1273.jpg

4. Catch the hole. Put something down on the opposite side of the tank to catch the hole. A folded up towel works great. If you don’t catch the hole, it could break the glass when the hole falls.

IMG_1275.jpg

It actually is very easy…..happy drilling.

Steelerfan747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never been brave enough to do it myself so I've always gotten someone else to do it.

GrouperStupor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's easy to do, just takes time. I don't use a water hose or water dam. Just pour a little water on it every 30 seconds or so. I haven't busted one yet, but I go really slow. A 30 gallon takes no time, a 120+ takes (me) a very long time.

I need to get one of those drill guides, those look handy. I've just been using one of those cheap suction cup hole guides.

sherita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've drilled quite a few. I've also figured out that every 55g I've ever owned is tempered. No, I did not find this out BEFORE I started drilling. *BANG*

_Alex_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am 14/14. Once did the first one been pretty easy to do. Do 4 in one day a month or so ago lol. Anyway knock in wood I haven't broke one yet lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I understand most tank bottom glass today is tempered so I would not try drilling the bottom glass under any circumstances.
I also want to take issue with the hob overflow reliability.
Any drain to a lower container, HOB or drilled, can fail even if just through some kind of blockage.
When the drain does fail (even from breaking syphon) the display does not have to flood.
When you setup the system one of the adjustments is to insure the sump runs dry before the display floods.
Once you make that adjustment, return the system to normal operation and mark a line on the sump where the water level is.
During drain failure the sump level will lower as water is pumped to the top container.
And run dry before the top container floods.
Any water you add to the system above that marked line during normal operation can cause the top container to flood.
So what you do is insure you never, never add water above the line.
my .02

Last edited:

swk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the tile and stone industry and have drilled many holes in granite countertops in my career.

I find drilling glass to be MUCH easier than stone. Set the torque extremely low, use minimal pressure and go slow. And acrylic tanks are even easier!

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the best $150 I ever spent. About 25 years ago, one of the LFS was going out of business and I managed to nab this commercial glass drill from them. Back then, the drill used slotted brass tube bits, along with Silicon Carbide Grain to wear through glass. I honestly prefer to use the old bits (when I have the right size) because it drills slower and makes smoother cuts.

The old style brass drill bit. This is a bit for a 2" bulkhead. I drilled the bottom of my old 200 with this one. So, I guess this is kind of a look back at the old school technique. :)

photo1_zps0ae46e28.jpg

The drill

3-Drill.jpg

The Silicon Carbide Grit that was used

7-Drill.jpg

I have probably drilled 30-40 tanks, sumps and other projects. Only broke one tank and it was a mini-bow 7 nano that I drilled one too many holes in the back glass. The weight of the drill (and the extremely thin glass) were the culprits there though.

I suppose I could add one tip that I have found useful. I always cover the back side of the hole with duct tape. If you stop drilling as soon as the hole is cut, the tape will catch the cutout and in my case, catch the water and grain within the dam. Making cleanup a little easier.

Last edited:

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drilled 5. Only lost one as I was misinformed that it wasn't tempered. Scared the crap outta me when it shattered!

SteveO83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhh. Really nervous about thus step..... Ive broke one tank before. Believe it was a 10g

JMSKI333

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drilling isn't as bad as everyone says. Go slower than you'd like too, and you'll be fine. It took be like 10-15 mins per hole

SteveO83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any other overflow kits that are with looking at our is it just glass-holes?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 105 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back