How to introduce fish without quarantine

BitFix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning my first reef tank, and plan on introducing 4 or 5 fish, but honestly have no space for a quarantine tank in my house. So,what's the best way to avoid any type of illnes in my tank without a quarantine? Just I freshwater dip or just drip acclimate and hope for the best?

symon_say

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning my first reef tank, and plan on introducing 4 or 5 fish, but honestly have no space for a quarantine tank in my house. So,what's the best way to avoid any type of illnes in my tank without a quarantine? Just I freshwater dip or just drip acclimate and hope for the best?

I don't think there is any safe route this way, you won't have problems most of the time, and probably never, thing is you never know when that last fish you introduce to the tank will bring something that kills all the other fish.

Tried several times, and 3 of 4 I didn't have any problems but that last time was really the last, I won't do that never again.

A QT don't need to be big a small 10 gl tank should work for most fish if they're small, and you don't have to run the QT all the time, just keep a hob sponge on your sump (cleaner it regularly), and you have a ready to go QT all the time.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a lot of this depends we’re you source the fish from otherwise your asking for trouble

I have never quarantined, but I’m assured by my LFS, here in the UK, that all fishes are medicated/rested as necessary by the wholesalers before being shipped to the LFS

I read a lot about QT, and it’s a good idea, unless like me your confident of your sources.

Jvesche20

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made the mistake of doing this and I lost 3 fish from ich. You can make a cheap QT. For the tank it’s self just go to the store and get a plastic tub that you store stuff in. I did that for a while till someone on Craigslist was giving away a free 55 gallon tank. Snagged that so fast. When you least expect it your fish will have a disease and destroy some fish. Currently letting my tank sit for 76 days till I can add them back. It sucks!

Cruz Mc5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think I’m going to quarantine most of my fish, but that’s because my LFS is essentially going to do the quarantine for me. If I purchase something from anywhere else, I’ll likely set up a QT though.

You can also read up on threads from Paul B regarding the way he deals with his fish. I *think* the crux of it is to feed them live food to keep their built up immunity/gut bacteria healthy. (Way over-simplification I think).

kkiel02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d just buy from someone that will quarantine them for you or ask your lfs if they will do it or maybe if you are lucky they will let you setup a little QT in the back for a small fee.

I really wish the wholesalers would do it so then they are shipping healthier fish but it gets expensive and what’s to say the disease/parasite isn’t in the tank they are shipping it to.

FDAWG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO: If you don't quarantine, then you will learn a valuable lesson on "Why quarantining is important" Many moons ago, I wasn't QT'ing any of my fish and I was getting lucky with healthy specimens until one day my luck ran dry and a $12 Lawn Mower Blenny took $500+ worth of fish within a 2 week period. It was an expensive lesson to learn but I learned the hard way.

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big of a tank are you planning on setting up?

OP
OP
BitFix

BitFix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't get me wrong, I've read enough horror storys about people loosing fish because of ich and want to avoid it at any cost, but I just don't have the space, I think I'll steal Jvesche20's idea and use a plastic tub, because when my tanks is stocked it's way easier to store it.

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are plenty of folks who don't quarantine for whatever reason. The lfs I buy from treats each tank with meds. He also writes the arrival date of each fish on the glass and I try to buy fish that have been in his store for several weeks. This way I know they are hardy and healthy enough to survive in an aquarium. Perhaps you can find such lfs nearby? Fish stress is a huge contributing factor in ich showing up, so I am extremely patient between adding each new livestock (1-2 months) to give existing livestock and tank bioload plenty of time to acclimate to any new arrival.

when acclimating, try to get the salinity as close as possible to ur tank level while bag sits in sump/tank. I use turkey baster every 5 mins. Throw out the water fish came in, don't dump that into the tank.

Jmas4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe people should qt all their fish. Not because loosing fish is expensive but it's your responsibility. As a fish owner you have the responsibility of giving your fish a healthy life.

Ime dipping is good but not good enough. Something might get though and end up wiping your tank. I highly recommend a qt.

Last edited:

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is from my own experience. I don't quarantine fish/coral/ anything. If you do not quarantine everything that goes into your tank including coral and invertebrates, quarantine the fish is not effective enough. I know this is a very touchy subject I would explain but do not want to derail the thread :). A stated above I use safety stop which is a "quick quarantine method" which all it is is two seperate baths and you dip the fish like you would coral super easy and effective . I find I have very good success ever since using it and you can use the dip for multiple fish at a time. After that I will either get an acclimation box and set the new fish in there if I see there could be an issue if not then I will just dump the fish in. I feed very heavy and that allows me to keep my fish fat and happy. Don't get me wrong I do have ick in my tanks but I manage it allowing my fish to get nutritious meals several times a day. I am able to add new fish and have a low chnace of them showing a disease. I find if you can lessen the stress on the fish the more success you will have. I really hope this helps!

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is from my own experience. I don't quarantine fish/coral/ anything. If you do not quarantine everything that goes into your tank including coral and invertebrates, quarantine the fish is not effective enough. I know this is a very touchy subject I would explain but do not want to derail the thread :). A stated above I use safety stop which is a "quick quarantine method" which all it is is two seperate baths and you dip the fish like you would coral super easy and effective . I find I have very good success ever since using it and you can use the dip for multiple fish at a time. After that I will either get an acclimation box and set the new fish in there if I see there could be an issue if not then I will just dump the fish in. I feed very heavy and that allows me to keep my fish fat and happy. Don't get me wrong I do have ick in my tanks but I manage it allowing my fish to get nutritious meals several times a day. I am able to add new fish and have a low chnace of them showing a disease. I find if you can lessen the stress on the fish the more success you will have. I really hope this helps!
I’d like to hear more about this process. Maybe create a new thread? What’s the chemicals you use called?

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d like to hear more about this process. Maybe create a new thread? What’s the chemicals you use called?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get an old biocube 14 or 16. They can go on any table top and have all the lights and filtration built in. As mentioned before it doesn't have to be set up 24/7. Can be set up and tore down and put away when not needed. You will be glad you did.

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get an old biocube 14 or 16. They can go on any table top and have all the lights and filtration built in. As mentioned before it doesn't have to be set up 24/7. Can be set up and tore down and put away when not needed. You will be glad you did.
Would that be more difficult to clean during medicine treatment than a regular 10 gallon? Also does it come with a heater? Sorry don’t know much about them

Back