how to introduce wimpy tang without stressing it to death?

cmross13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tank has been running successfully for approximately 6 months. Current livestock list is a 3.5" Regal Tang, 3.5" Vlamingii Tang, 3.5" Goldflake Maroon Clown, MONSTER 6" Dampiera Dottyback(AKA Fire-tail Devil), MONSTER 12"+ Engineer Goby, little 2" Yellow Watchman Goby, 2" 6 line wrasse. i LOVE a Tomini Tang, it is definitely one of my favorite fish. Last weekend i was given the opportunity to purchase a gorgeous 3.5" fully QT example as a discount package deal with a 2"ish baby Panther Grouper, i jumped. i left the grouper at fish store as it needs to stay in their QT for another week before moving into mine.

Now, i got Tomini home, got it all properly acclimated, and in the tank she went. i did a few things around the house and came back to check on her and found that her beautiful orange dorsal and anal fins had been nipped at, as well as her clear tail was looking pretty raggedy. i watched the tank for a few minutes and definitely saw Vlamingii going after her. i cant tell if Regal was going after or trying to defend her. definitely looked like Regal was trying to chase off Vlamingii, but Regal could have also thrown in a tail swipe that i didnt notice. Mrs. Clown also went after her, but only when she was trying to escape Vlamingii and wound up near Mrs. Clowns Anemone. out of the DT(RSR350) and into QT(RSR170) she went, were she has been for the last couple days and just started eating today(combo of freeze dried mysis soaked in Selcon and frozen "fish food cocktail"). shes in there by herself with a couple pieces of PVC and i cut the wavemaker(RS ReefWave 25) down to 10% MAX random in an attempt to keep her from just swimming up in the corner, seemingly fighting the current. really crossing my fingers that she'll be alive when i get home.

now, how am i going to introduce this fish into my tank with minimal fuss? the other two tangs eat Nori, and i have two mag feeder clips, so my first plan is to get Tomini eating right and give each tank a sheet of nori every day or two. make sure everybody is fat and there no competition for food. i have to pick up grouper Saturday and put him in my QT for a couple weeks so hopefully he will get along with Tomini. fish store has a second tomini and i wouldnt mind buying it and just having two, but i know im running out of biological real estate. should be noted, i have a "Plan B" for when anything gets too big for tank. Dottyback and Engineer Goby are nearing that limit.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When re introducing the fish you could try an acclimation box to see if that will help get the other fish used to seeing the new addition. You can also try the mirror trick so that the aggressive fish attack their reflection instead of the new tang.
Also the size tank that fish are in can effect their aggressiveness, and you've picked some pretty large fish to go into your relatively small tank. I know you said you have a plan for when they get too big, but I still think putting that many tangs of any size in that small of a tank is probably not ideal.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 37 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back