How to Keep Down Humidity Inside a Canopy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Top_Lids

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How to get rid of humidity inside canopies? We hear this all the time. Humidity can be incredibly damaging, causing lights to fail early and contributing to mold growth and decay of wood or plastic canopies.

Check out these tips below for eliminating harmful humidity inside your lighting canopy:

1) Make sure the back of your canopy is as open as possible. This let's in airflow to help with humidity and naturally cool lighting
2) Invest in a set of lids to keep evaporation down, preferably solid lids. This could be a set of glass lids, or a professional set of lids like Top Lids
3) Install a set of fans into the side of the canopy somewhere. You can usually pickup a set of computer cooling fans and screw them into the canopy itself (remember to always put in a place where water won't splash on the fan unit or electrical, these units aren't as water resistant as lighting units!)

Below is a client doing all 3 of these so you guys can see (the fan is on the very left side of the canopy). Hope this was helpful, and if you have any questions let us know below

AQON 180G Megaflow Orange UV Spline 2.jpg

AQON 180G Megaflow Orange UV Spline 1.jpg

AQON 180G Megaflow Orange UV Spline 3.jpg

AQON 180G Megaflow Orange UV Spline 4.jpg

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazon, eBay, CoolerGuys, Allied Electronics, and Newark Electronics. There are IP Ratings IE 65,66, 67, Etc. Best to read up on the Ratings. The IP 65, will take Water Spray from any direction, but if it went to the bottom of your Aquarium, it probably would be trashed. Quick Dip, at the top of the water, would probably be okay. BTW, What I Don’t understand, is how manufacturers, are allowed to sell Aquarium Electronics, with no IP Rating! In Commercial HVAC, just about all Electronic Controls have an IP Rating. Even ones for a Dry Mechanical Room. Maybe some Pressure from Hobbyist, is long overdue.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yes, a cutout/circular on both ends with 3 or 4" fans attached BUT assure they tolerate humidity

OP
OP
Top_Lids

Top_Lids

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazon, eBay, CoolerGuys, Allied Electronics, and Newark Electronics. There are IP Ratings IE 65,66, 67, Etc. Best to read up on the Ratings. The IP 65, will take Water Spray from any direction, but if it went to the bottom of your Aquarium, it probably would be trashed. Quick Dip, at the top of the water, would probably be okay. BTW, What I Don’t understand, is how manufacturers, are allowed to sell Aquarium Electronics, with no IP Rating! In Commercial HVAC, just about all Electronic Controls have an IP Rating. Even ones for a Dry Mechanical Room. Maybe some Pressure from Hobbyist, is long overdue.
Totally agree on the pressure from hobbyists needs to come to electronic brands.

This is why we stay out of electronics :)

Thanks for the excellent suggestions @SteveMM62Reef

Jamesmost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My custom lids arrived today.... spectacular product...

Attachments

• 20240229_140941.jpg
    20240229_140941.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 20240229_140934.jpg
    20240229_140934.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 16
OP
OP
Top_Lids

Top_Lids

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My custom lids arrived today.... spectacular product...
Thanks very much for the share @Jamesmost , Was a lot of fun working on this project with you brother (even measuring the overflow cover...that was an interesting day lol).

Enjoy your lifetime of protection my friend.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back