How to kill aiptasia in zoanthus colony?

Frank's Tanks

1 of 3 F-Aiptasia Creators
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I can't really find aiptasia X for sale at a decent price near me (I live in South America). Do you know any other way that won't harm my colony? I've heard lemon juice and boiling water, but was afraid of hurting the zoanthus.
Email your full mailing address to
[email protected]

I will get a mailing quote for you! Please put F-Aiptasia in the subject line.

Frank's Tanks

1 of 3 F-Aiptasia Creators
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m trying a new method. Not sure if it’ll work. I had a zoa colony that exploded with aiptasia. It was stinging them and I wasn’t sure what to do. Aiptasia X makes them spread. I couldn’t find the right type of peppermint shrimp (need the exact type). So I did a freshwater dip. Lots of stuff fell off, mostly pods and I saw some aiptasia in the water. I have the zoas in QT now. Will wait and see what comes of it. Keep in mind, this was a last resort type of thing.
Did you get my quote by email last week??

OP
OP
BitFix

BitFix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Email your full mailing address to
[email protected]

I will get a mailing quote for you! Please put F-Aiptasia in the subject line.
I'm very very thankful for all the help. But honestly there's no need to ship a single product to here (besides it would take a while to get here, mails are being very inefficient). I am able to get aiptasia-x if needed, I was just trying to avoid if possible due to it being hard to find.

OP
OP
BitFix

BitFix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you still have not QT the frag yet .
Unfortunately I don't. I wish I had one, but to maintain another system is just not possible for me (getting a fish quarantine was hard enough). Besides getting another light that can support coral would be way too expensive here.

Chewbacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would put it in some sort of container with tank water any light will do over the top and replenish half the water every day until you decide what you going to feature in you tank Zoas or Aptisia. I have had critters on my large zoa rock , in bucket any light with water change daily for two weeks with no problem.

BA845B61-1DF0-4A1E-B3DD-C643A652172B.jpeg

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When this happens to me, I like manual removal. get out the frag cutters, cut out of a big hunk of the underlying rock that includes the aptasia, and probably some of the surrounding zoas. I sacrifice a few zoas to kill the beast.

What you should *not* do is think youre clever like I did and put the frag in your aptasia eating filefish tank. Sure, he ate the aptasia. But apparently it had flavored everything around it to taste like delicious aptasia juice. Cause he proceeded to eat the entire colony. I was left with a sparkling clean frag plug :/

Reefman71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm very very thankful for all the help. But honestly there's no need to ship a single product to here (besides it would take a while to get here, mails are being very inefficient). I am able to get aiptasia-x if needed, I was just trying to avoid if possible due to it being hard to find.

988357F4-2010-42C0-B80C-91B8A49A84EF.jpeg

Reefman71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got one, very small. How did you end up getting rid of it?

OP
OP
BitFix

BitFix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got one, very small. How did you end up getting rid of it?
I got a peppermint shrimp pair, all the aiptasia in my tank disappeared in under a week. Pretty sure they also ate my only stomatella snail, so that's something to watch out for.

sfairtx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Berghia Nudibranch. Don't try to remove it manually. It will just multiply.

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any issue with the peppermint shrimp going after corals? I read they're reef safe but also read people had issue with them going after coral.

I have around 6 small aiptasia, bought a syringe and lemon but I will not be able to get some to due to placement. Took a plug out to treat outside of tank but the aiptasia retracted and can't see them. Thinking a peppermint is my best alternative.

OP
OP
BitFix

BitFix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any issue with the peppermint shrimp going after corals? I read they're reef safe but also read people had issue with them going after coral.

I have around 6 small aiptasia, bought a syringe and lemon but I will not be able to get some to due to placement. Took a plug out to treat outside of tank but the aiptasia retracted and can't see them. Thinking a peppermint is my best alternative.
My peppermint shrimp will try to investigate new corals and may nip at dead polyps, but never attacked any healthy frags or colonies.

SudzFD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One way that worked for me in the past was pull the rock and burn the spot with a torch. Can’t do that with Zoa’s though. You will kill them and possibly release toxic fumes. I think the super glue is your best bet. Whenever I went near mine they disappeared into the rock. The glue can cover the hole and hopefully take care of it. Good luck.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I got a pair of peppermints. They did the job but they do go after corals. Cleaned out an acan colony. They seem mostly nocturnal. When I look in at night, they attack the NPS corals that are out.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 37 54.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 54.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • None.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.8%
Back