How to kill Aiptasia (preferably under water)?

potatocouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  • Peppermint shrimp doesn't seem to work (I put in 3 small one yesterday and I don't see them anymore LOL .... let alone them fixing my Aiptasia).
    • I had a bigger Peppermint shrimp earlier this year and it seems to work on those Aiptasia but shame, I think it gets eaten by the BTA; perhaps what I need is a bigger Peppermint Shrimp?
  • Prefer to fix underwater (don't need to take rock out if I can).
  • (Information if it matters) Inhabitants inside: BTAs, Zoanthids, Euphyllias, Scolly, Rics, Morphs, Acans & 2 Clownfish.
Question: What is the best method in killing these Aiptasia (some is quite big; total of 3 approximately at the moment)?

Picture below is just reference and doesn't depict the real Aiptasia in the tank.
444x340xAiptasia-Blane-Peruns-TheSea.jpg.pagespeed.ic.KoNIix7lW-.jpg

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many reefers including me use Aiptasia X or a strong Kalkwasser solution (I believe they are the same thing). Filefish and other biological controls also seem to produce results.

mike werner

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you usually don't see peppermint shrimp when you first put them in the tank.they are more nocturnal so you usually only see them at night.when you see them and you know you have them.stop feeding the tank for 2 or three days.this will make them hungry and they will go looking for a meal.once they find them they will stay on them usually till they are gone.if you feed them,they have no reason to eat the aiptasia.those clowns can go without food for days with no ill effects.
the berghia nudibranchs work but take much longer to do the job.give them shrimps a chance man.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aptasia x works well. You just need to pour it on the mouth so the nem eats the solution, if you spook it, and the nem retracts it will not work to just put the alt Aptasia x on top.

You should see the nem curl around the x and pull it into the mouth. Depending on the location and size it can be tricky but not bad if you keep the above in mind. I think sometimes people just put solution on the nem and are disappointed when it doesn’t work. Don’t squirt too hard or it can scare the nem, just be gentile - it’s not difficult just be aware of those things.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turn off all pumps. Draw up some well-mixed Joe's Juice or Aiptasia X into a 1 ml syringe. Gently squirt some of the stuff onto the aiptasia tentacles, which will grab and eat it, sealing the beast's fate. Go on to the next one.

Pivitol

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say give your shrimp some time. I had a small outbreak of aptasia tried Aptasia X and they spread, last week just like yourself I purchased 3 peppermint shrimp and again like you as soon as I put them in the tank I couldn't find them. And today I can only find 1 or 2 small aptasia last week it was well over a dozen. I did use the Aptasia X to get the bigger easy to reach ones.

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mix kalk and rodi into a paste and use that with a syringe to target kill them. Works great and aiptasia X is just kalk paste over priced.

OP
OP
potatocouch

potatocouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say give your shrimp some time. I had a small outbreak of aptasia tried Aptasia X and they spread, last week just like yourself I purchased 3 peppermint shrimp and again like you as soon as I put them in the tank I couldn't find them. And today I can only find 1 or 2 small aptasia last week it was well over a dozen. I did use the Aptasia X to get the bigger easy to reach ones.

That's the intention but if things goes pear shape, I will need an alternative. but you are right, I should give the 3 musketeers a chance.

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got my laser yesterday and it works extremely well on the Aipstasia you can see.....

Pivitol

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the intention but if things goes pear shape, I will need an alternative. but you are right, I should give the 3 musketeers a chance.
I agree, but get some Aptasia X or Kalk slurry and kill that palm tree size ap that you have in that pic.;)

Cnidoblast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed them sodium carbonate or calcium hydroxide paste in a syringe

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Goctha... I wear the glasses and wait until late at night when kids are sleeping.... I shine a light thru top of tank, usually cell phone flashlight.... Did the job...

OP
OP
potatocouch

potatocouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Goctha... I wear the glasses and wait until late at night when kids are sleeping.... I shine I light thru top of tank, usually cell phone flashlight.... Did the job...

I'm assuming you also need high precision on your aim hey ... imagine you have Aiptasia or Majano near your highly rated corals ... skip a beat then what you lasering is that coral, as opposed to the pest.

Salt1972

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had a pretty sizable outbreak when we introduced some live rock last September. We used lemon juice in a 1mL syringe / needle. Inject right in the center and give each one a few drops of lemon juice. They immediately recoil and never recover... very satisfying. We're 6 months since then and haven't had any more issues.

mike werner

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got my laser yesterday and it works extremely well on the Aipstasia you can see.....

hope you saved your receipt you will soon find out you wasted your money.they only burn the ones you can see the whole base of.plan ahead and get an eye patch now lol.but seriously they don't solve the problem.

Back