How to kill an aiptasia that is on a coral?

Larry101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As my title says, I am wondering how to kill an aiptasia that I have that is growing in between my candy cane coral polyps. I know that I could inject lemon juice, use aiptasia x, use a kalk slurry, etc. but I was wondering what an effective method would be so that I kill the aiptasia but don't harm my candy cane colony. If anyone has any ideas please let me know, Thanks!

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's just one in a hole or crevice and you can easily remove the colony from the tank, take it out, inject it with some H2O2 and wait a minute or two. Then flush it with some more peroxide and seal all access openings to that hole/crevice with superglue.
If you just seal the opening you see it in it may have a backdoor you can't see. And if it can escape you may end up with a much bigger problem.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Best approach is with a syringe allowing you to target them.
Mix kalkwasser powder into a thin paste and inject via syringe into center core of each aptasia and they will safely melt away

salt2salt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matted filefish. Destroyed my aiptasia. When I got him he was the size of my fingernail, I ordered a small. He went in the sump. I feed him till he was tripled in size(about 2 months) Then started to feed him sparingly and after the next couple weeks my aiptasia was gone in sump. Took him out of sump at nite when he was sleeping. Just used my hand as he sleeps at the top corner of the tank. I fed the tank as usual for a few weeks then reduced feedings. A few weeks later and not one aiptasia in the DT. He is a model citizen, eats from my hand, and is the favorite fish in the tank. Just a very mellow trigger.

if he ever starts to eat any corals, back in the sump he’ll go , so easy to catch. Highly recommended as I have tried everything over the years.

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If possible, remove the coral from your system into a bowl of clean water. Then treat with aptasia-x and let sit for awhile. Then return coral to main system. If aptasia is a problem in the rest of your tank, I would recommend a predator like:
Filefish, peppermint shrimp, bergia nudibranch. If you want the nudibranch I can recommend a seller.

mahig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best approach is with a syringe allowing you to target them.
Mix kalkwasser powder into a thin paste and inject via syringe into center core of each aptasia and they will safely melt away
I noticed one on the base of a hammer frag. Would you remove it first if possible then inject with lemon juice, or inject in the tank? Didn’t know if removing the coral would stress the Aiptasia making it worse. Thank you

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I noticed one on the base of a hammer frag. Would you remove it first if possible then inject with lemon juice, or inject in the tank? Didn’t know if removing the coral would stress the Aiptasia making it worse. Thank you
You can inject with lemon on preferably paste within tank
Won’t alter your chemistry or scrape off outside the tank

Last edited:

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you're able to remove from the tank, that would be best. then add superglue the the area with care to not hit the coral. they spread like fire when they get irritated in a tank.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back