How to know if clownfish are truly paired?

tomtheturkey

Reef Wizard
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Afternoon,

I have two orange storm Ocellaris clownfish and they seemed to be paired up one is much larger than the other (Which I thought was female 2 inches) and the other is (maybe male just 1.5 inches). I don't know the exact age of the fish however the guy at LFS said they were paired and they never left each others side the month he had them but now its just them in by 32gal Cube and they stray from each other and even sleep apart but are still next to each other Id say 60% of the time. So I'm not sure if they have spawned at least they haven't in my care. I have seen BOTH the larger and smaller one be submissive via the twitching but the larger is a bit more aggressive towards the smaller. The small one gobbles up the food where as the larger doesn't seem to care as much but still eats great. I don't care if they actually spawn I just wanted two of them in general.

Clownfish have strange behavior I just want some insight. I have read several articles but seems like they are paired but aren't at same time

clowns3.jpg

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If two clownfish are in a tank and they aren't fighting/actively staying at opposite ends all of the time, they're a pair. The reason that you haven't seen spawning/settling down is because they aren't old enough. A spawning clown is usually about 3 - 3.5" long and fat as a bluegill. Easy to breed as they are, they will need some pampering to do so, just like any fish. It looks to me like you have a nice young pair, give them 6 months and lots of good care and they'll stake out a home and start spawning. I hope this helps!

OP
OP
tomtheturkey

tomtheturkey

Reef Wizard
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If two clownfish are in a tank and they aren't fighting/actively staying at opposite ends all of the time, they're a pair. The reason that you haven't seen spawning/settling down is because they aren't old enough. A spawning clown is usually about 3 - 3.5" long and fat as a bluegill. Easy to breed as they are, they will need some pampering to do so, just like any fish. It looks to me like you have a nice young pair, give them 6 months and lots of good care and they'll stake out a home and start spawning. I hope this helps!
That does help and I wondered if it also might be a maturity thing. They don't really fight the bigger one does what I would say like a headbutt to the smaller one occasionally and that's it. No nipping chasing etc

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That does help and I wondered if it also might be a maturity thing. They don't really fight the bigger one does what I would say like a headbutt to the smaller one occasionally and that's it. No nipping chasing etc
When they start fluttering in front of each other it’s said they are sorting out who is dominant female and the submissive male .

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They both have fluttered at each other. So I guess they are still trying to figure it out

From my experience the bigger one is the female, and the more outgoing/active one is the male before they start spawning. After that, look out for the female, her job will be keeping anything threatening out of her territory. In the wild that mainly means chasing damselfish off about 2.5' square of reef, and in the aquarium it means biting your hand when you least expect it. The male will tend the eggs and feed the anemone if they've got one. He'll stop swimming all over the tank, and will begin "keeping house".

OP
OP
tomtheturkey

tomtheturkey

Reef Wizard
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my experience the bigger one is the female, and the more outgoing/active one is the male before they start spawning. After that, look out for the female, her job will be keeping anything threatening out of her territory. In the wild that mainly means chasing damselfish off about 2.5' square of reef, and in the aquarium it means biting your hand when you least expect it. The male will tend the eggs and feed the anemone if they've got one. He'll stop swimming all over the tank, and will begin "keeping house".
Yeah sometimes the smaller one will herd the larger one back down to the cave I made if she goes out into "open water" haha

Max Ohm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't put my hand in the storm's breeding tank any more without a rubber glove xD

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back