How to know if my powerhead is to powerful or misplaced?

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a cheap powerhead in my 29g tank, that I originally used for mixing the salt.

So first question: How do I know if my powerhead is to powerful? It’s really pushing the clowns around and they aren’t able to swim in the center of the tank, or in between the rocks.

Second question: What is the correct position for a powerhead? Mine is centered, about half way down, on the right side. (See photo)
D451F4B1-E755-43B6-BCB3-EC08EE00A860.jpeg

I need to get a new one, but I don’t want to spend a lot of money on one.

Any good suggestions?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the power head is giving a strong jet stream, you can point the power head to the glass of the tank so it can bounce off and disperse into a wider range flow with more coverage.

zukihara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would move to top of tank and angle down very slightly. Likely, the power will diminish enough soon enough as well.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would move to top of tank and angle down very slightly. Likely, the power will diminish enough soon enough as well.
I would do the opposite. I would put the pump lower and point it up for surface agitation and gas exchange.

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That ph looks fine. Are the clowns really small? I don't see them in the picture
Oh, they aren’t in that picture, that’s a kinda old one. I’ll get an updated picture in a little bit.

If the power head is giving a strong jet stream, you can point the power head to the glass of the tank so it can bounce off and disperse into a wider range flow with more coverage.
So sort of angle it to the back of the tank?

Would this not make the sand go everywhere?

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think its a problem at all where it is. Move it to your preference if you like but you don't want sand moving everywhere. Don't be scared to get your hands in there and move it around until you think its giving the tank a good spread without blowing sand. If a little sand blows around while you are moving it is no big deal, it will settle back down. But if you see sand blowing when it is in it's permanent position it is likely to continue.
I don't see an issue with leaving it where it is however.

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think its a problem at all where it is. Move it to your preference if you like but you don't want sand moving everywhere. Don't be scared to get your hands in there and move it around until you think its giving the tank a good spread without blowing sand. If a little sand blows around while you are moving it is no big deal, it will settle back down. But if you see sand blowing when it is in it's permanent position it is likely to continue.
I don't see an issue with leaving it where it is however.
It’s definitely not blowing sand, I’m just concerned that it’s to powerful for the juvenile clowns.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To see if to powerful and where the flow is going.put in food / like extra than they can eat straight away and watch where the flow takes the food.
I personally would do 2 of the suggestions above possible. I would like the flow to be pointed upwards for surface agitation but also could point power head at the front or back glass also and let the flow bounce around the tank.
I see you got power head in middle of tank pointed straight at the rock structure.
I see it like this,the fish,cuc will treat that rock structure as their base camp/ home and feel safest there as they can hide/feel safe/ chill around and in the rocks so by having power head pointed straight at rocks you saying they cant get to it as flow to much.so would poubt it towards glass and let them get in or around that rock structure.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also if put in to much food.can always use net to retrieve food after you done test.by looking at your rocks structure shouldnt be problem getting excess food out.

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To see if to powerful and where the flow is going.put in food / like extra than they can eat straight away and watch where the flow takes the food.
I personally would do 2 of the suggestions above possible. I would like the flow to be pointed upwards for surface agitation but also could point power head at the front or back glass also and let the flow bounce around the tank.
I see you got power head in middle of tank pointed straight at the rock structure.
I see it like this,the fish,cuc will treat that rock structure as their base camp/ home and feel safest there as they can hide/feel safe/ chill around and in the rocks so by having power head pointed straight at rocks you saying they cant get to it as flow to much.so would poubt it towards glass and let them get in or around that rock structure.
That make real sense, thank you!!

Also if put in to much food.can always use net to retrieve food after you done test.by looking at your rocks structure shouldnt be problem getting excess food out.
Will do. :)

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for getting a new power head.you can get one with a wave maker ( controller) and can adjust the speed of the flow.but this isnt a nessasity if you can make do with what you got and it does the job.i see you got heater in dt and cant see no overflows/ pipes so guess you got no sump so pointing that power head at surface to promote more surface agitation for the gas exchange to happen wouldnt be a bad idea imo

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for getting a new power head.you can get one with a wave maker ( controller) and can adjust the speed of the flow.but this isnt a nessasity if you can make do with what you got and it does the job.i see you got heater in dt and cant see no overflows/ pipes so guess you got no sump so pointing that power head at surface to promote more surface agitation for the gas exchange to happen wouldnt be a bad idea imo
No, sadly not sump, just a HOB. :(

I will move it down a bit, and point it at the surface.

—-

Any suggestions on low budget brands of powerhead?

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately im in england so dont know budget brands over there sorry.
I just got mine from big national aquarium/ ponds stockist ( maybe similar to brs but unsure really)
I got their own branded power heads ,which are rebranded jebao power heads.
I think jebao classed as middle of the road equipment. I only had mine running on this salt water tank 2 months and got 2 of them.but had exact same model on one my freshwater tanks for years and no problems.
I just search google and read reviews before buying is all i do.
If having corals in tank random flow is good idea rather than coral just getting flow from one direction so on a controller you can set it to come on then off then on etc or adjust flow up and down speeds and got feed modes so slows it down and gives fish chance to catch the food ha ha .
Mine was £ 55.00 each so about $60 i think.
Ovbiously salt water and coraline algae will affect the power heads more than in my freshwater tanks but will clean them regulary to get more life out of them

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210501-012553_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20210501-012553_Google.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 32
  • Screenshot_20210501-012630_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210501-012630_Gallery.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 24
  • Screenshot_20210501-012639_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210501-012639_Gallery.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 36

Ponto633

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If any corals are closing up you can move it around. Mid tank is a good place to start. You would be surprised how much movement you really need in a tank.

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If any corals are closing up you can move it around. Mid tank is a good place to start. You would be surprised how much movement you really need in a tank.
I don’t have corals at the moment, but I will get some soon!

I'm a big fan of jebao, the slw series is dope for in tank circulation on tanks under 75g.
Unfortunately im in england so dont know budget brands over there sorry.
I just got mine from big national aquarium/ ponds stockist ( maybe similar to brs but unsure really)
I got their own branded power heads ,which are rebranded jebao power heads.
I think jebao classed as middle of the road equipment. I only had mine running on this salt water tank 2 months and got 2 of them.but had exact same model on one my freshwater tanks for years and no problems.
I just search google and read reviews before buying is all i do.
If having corals in tank random flow is good idea rather than coral just getting flow from one direction so on a controller you can set it to come on then off then on etc or adjust flow up and down speeds and got feed modes so slows it down and gives fish chance to catch the food ha ha .
Mine was £ 55.00 each so about $60 i think.
Ovbiously salt water and coraline algae will affect the power heads more than in my freshwater tanks but will clean them regulary to get more life out of them
I will look into those brands, thanks!

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck in whatever you decide,whether to keep the power head you have ( which i would keep if it does the job,but would have seperate power head for mixing salt as just less hassle and if use power head from tank to mix salt it be dirty,ish ,so personally i would want separate power head to mix salt) but if you going get corals it would be good to have controller so can adjust the flow and have random flow etc so goodluck buddy ^_^

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back