How to know if my tank is cycled through fallow peroid

Khwee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

recently had a velvet outbreak and going through a fallow.As of right now, i only have a cuc in there. Ive been adding pellets a couple of pinches ever other day( i may miss a day here and there).

question is... how do i know if my tank is still cycled? I want to dose it ammonia to 2ppm and see if it will go back to 0 after 24hours. Will the cuc be able to handle it?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A fallow period can never ever ever uncycle even if you ran it five years with no feed. No ammonia, it burns small animals riding out the wait you must trust your bac in this case.
not a guess, DJ City from this site has a three year fallow test proven as he tested ammonia on month ~36 and system oxidized perfectly as if it had been fed.

a wet biosystem delivers feed constantly to bac in many ways, humans do not have control over things unless the tank is in a bac lab controlling all inputs and contaminations.

of about twenty various non human feed mechanisms, a big one for live rock is that the organics packed into every crevice are bac feed and it takes years and years to deplete these alone.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are your only options for losing bacteria, no other method will kill them off once set (a cycle can never be undone)

- true drying / desiccation
-boil
-hard freeze and that won’t kill them all, some reseed upon thawing (how frozen koi ponds don’t get a fish kill each winter)
-antibiotic meds.

only four extremes can uncycle a reef. Withholding feed will never cause it because we are only withholding one of twenty feed input mechanisms

Dr Reef has a starvation test on file but we started that in a zero organics dry material system that never had one spec of feed and had a lid that prevented air exchange with the room except through a tiny pinhole, that’s what it takes to starve them in a home setting, they were never fed at all out of the bottle.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

Khwee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are your only options for losing bacteria, no other method will kill them off once set (a cycle can never be undone)

- true drying / desiccation
-boil
-hard freeze and that won’t kill them all, some reseed upon thawing (how frozen koi ponds don’t get a fish kill each winter)
-antibiotic meds.

only four extremes can uncycle a reef. Withholding feed will never cause it because we are only withholding one of twenty feed input mechanisms

Dr Reef has a starvation test on file but we started that in a zero organics dry material system that never had one spec of feed and had a lid that prevented air exchange with the room except through a tiny pinhole, that’s what it takes to starve them in a home setting, they were never fed at all out of the bottle.
Awesome. I appreciate you taking the time to help me out.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey post pics when fish are back in / will shore up claims nicely. For Pete’s sake don’t dose bottle bac lol I’m currently on a weeks long rant about us getting bilked by using the products when not needed and money leaving our pockets. Can’t wait for updates
B

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back