How to lower algae growth?

Oscar’s25Gal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, so in my reef tank i’ve recently noticed lots of algae growing on my rocks. it is almost definitely hair algae and i’m just wondering if there are any ways to help with this? A certain type of fish? Any products? If it’s an ammonia problem, how can i lower the ammonia effectively? Thanks

Imaexpat2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unwanted algae growth is a function of three things...Water, Light and Nutrients! Use RO/DI water, use the proper lighting spectrum for the appropriate amount of hours in a day for a light cycle and quit adding nutrients to the tank and it will go away if you have much in the way of a clean up crew!

Most algae problems in this hobby are a result of over feeding your fish and corals or too many fish in the tank. Most of the time when you have an algae problem you also have a water chemistry problem to go with it as a complication to the root problem. I dont care what reading you get on a Phosphate test, if you got algae its too high!!! That algae is just soaking up a lot of that phosphate so your test aint detecting it accurately.

Brandon3152134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is alot of factors missing here. I'm leaning toward the age of the tank. But we need more info and a picture

Back