How to lower phosphates

pseudorand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gfo, water changes are not effective since much of phosphate binds to rock and substrate. If it gets above 0.7 look at lanthanum chloride into filter sox over a day or 2.
Like psuedorand said, reef roids and other foods are high sources.
I'm not sure what works fastest, but if you have corals you probably don't want fast. Lowering phosphate too fast can harm them. I can attest that GFO/Phosguard + water changes do work, but over the course of many months.

As for products that help get rid of algae, they may kill it, but those nutrients are still in your tank, feeding the next outbreak. Suck it out during a water change. For GHA, rubber band a toothbrush to the end of your hose and scrub it off, letting the hose sick it out. Do it at least weekly - frequent water changes will also help pull out phosphates. You won't measure a change because there is a balance between phosphate in the water and phosphate captured in the rock. The rocks will leech more phosphate into the water as you remove it. You're only measuring the water, so you won't see a change with your test kit, but rest assured you're taking phosphate out of the tank. Eventually it will start to go down.

Also, budget for lots of salt.

OP
OP
reefbuilder1010

reefbuilder1010

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what works fastest, but if you have corals you probably don't want fast. Lowering phosphate too fast can harm them. I can attest that GFO/Phosguard + water changes do work, but over the course of many months.

As for products that help get rid of algae, they may kill it, but those nutrients are still in your tank, feeding the next outbreak. Suck it out during a water change. For GHA, rubber band a toothbrush to the end of your hose and scrub it off, letting the hose sick it out. Do it at least weekly - frequent water changes will also help pull out phosphates. You won't measure a change because there is a balance between phosphate in the water and phosphate captured in the rock. The rocks will leech more phosphate into the water as you remove it. You're only measuring the water, so you won't see a change with your test kit, but rest assured you're taking phosphate out of the tank. Eventually it will start to go down.

Also, budget for lots of salt.
My coral is not in that tank yet it is in my quarantine tank which the levels are perfect so I’m good there!! Just ordered a media reactor for gfo which should be here this week with my new protein skimmer so that should help a lot also going to do water changes to help also and the tooth brush idea is great never thought of that! Thanks for the information will definitely keep you posted!

OP
OP
reefbuilder1010

reefbuilder1010

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my media reactor and my new tunze 9004 protein skimmer today!! Gonna put them in this weekend when I have time but I also posted some pictures of the algae in my tank it’s a reddish purple color any idea on what it could be?

Attachments

• 64B828E8-8573-4971-8929-FEA670B84C2B.jpeg
    64B828E8-8573-4971-8929-FEA670B84C2B.jpeg
    216.4 KB · Views: 39
  • 934B7523-11DC-492B-AF9D-C3B51D4A5384.jpeg
    934B7523-11DC-492B-AF9D-C3B51D4A5384.jpeg
    222.4 KB · Views: 37
  • 2F61A2F4-6651-46AE-9513-3FFDCC9D6048.jpeg
    2F61A2F4-6651-46AE-9513-3FFDCC9D6048.jpeg
    190.5 KB · Views: 30
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 35

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back