how to lower silicates in RODI water when not using RODI system?

shakacuz

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
my LFS has consistently sold me water with high silicates(as shown or proven by my ICP tests). how can i remove the silicate out of the water in order to continue using it in my ATO? i do use chemi pure blue in my sump but that’s just to help keep po4, organics, and no3 in check. the continuous increase in silicate is contributing to a diatom bloom in my tank which i’ve begun to address with increasing my CUC to deal specifically with diatoms

i do understand i could go to another vendor or even invest in a RODI system and deal with changing RO membranes or filters, but i live in an apartment and find this option to be too tedious.

i was thinking maybe using ROWAphos or chemi clean, or something specifically for silicate removal (suggestions?) in small amounts in mesh bags in each of the jugs of RODI water i have so the silicate is reduced or removed prior to putting it into my ATO container. is this feasible?

Last edited:
OP
OP
shakacuz

shakacuz

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
What size is your tank? Even a small, portable RO system is fairly cost-effective. I have a 75 GPD RODI unit (mounted under a sink, obviously) - but this is enough to sustain a 200-gallon system.
currently, 50g total volume and then a 5g ATO reservoir. once i upgrade, i’ll have about 85-100G total volume(depending if i keep my 75G, or find a 90G in good condition)

space is the biggest limiting factor here. not many places to keep it without it being an eye sore..

Last edited:

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
currently, 50g total volume and then a 5g ATO reservoir. once i upgrade, i’ll have about 85-100G total volume(depending if i keep my 75G, or find a 90G in good condition)

space is the biggest limiting factor here. not many places to keep it without it being an eye sore..
They do make some countertop models as well. That might be another alternative (someone posted about one they found on Amazon the other day).

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People buying/hauling RODI from a store in 2022 is just crazy to me...

If your willing to spend 30-40$ on Rowaphos, just spend 69$ on a full unit and your done...

Im still using one similar to keep up with a total of just under 200g's of water. Does fine. I have since went to a 150gpd membrane and a refillable di resin.

Upside for me is that I live in a condo, water cost are a part of my hoa dues.

Tiki_Reef

My daily driver is a nano.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is literally under my hallway bathroom sink cabinet which is ridiculously small and this unit produces 150 gpd.

20220707_012227.jpg

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with everyone, get an RODI unit.. best decision you’ll ever make but you can always throw in a phosguard on a high flow area to get silicates out

OP
OP
shakacuz

shakacuz

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Cabinet under the kitchen sink?
not an option.

i appreciate the RODI unit suggestions but alas, it is not something i want to do at the moment. too tedious to pull off given some circumstances.

are there any other suggestions that does not include RODI units? does the silicate removing media HAVE to have flow? cant i just leave a small mesh bag in the ATO, or in the jugs of water?

Last edited:

Captmcfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bucket you hall water in is probably just as big an eyesore … he’ll place it in the bucket when not In use?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How high is the silicate in the water? GFO will remove it, but that will cost more and may not be necessary.

I recommend dosing silicate in many situations.

OP
OP
shakacuz

shakacuz

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
How high is the silicate in the water? GFO will remove it, but that will cost more and may not be necessary.

I recommend dosing silicate in many situations.
last ICP showed: 93.64 silicon in the RODI water. was 456.8 in the DT.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
last ICP showed: 93.64 silicon in the RODI water. was 456.8 in the DT.

I wonder if that water is even the main source. I don’t see how the small amount from evaporation top off (adding maybe 1 ppb as Si every day) could drive both problematic diatom growth levels as well as boost it to 457 ppb as Si.

You sure what pest you have is diatoms?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 72 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 70 50.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 35 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back