How to make a NSA aquascape with live rock

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So im setting up a red sea reefer 34.6g or something like that but I want to make an NSA for it. Problem is I'd be switching my tank from an Evo to a 34g tank so I'd prefer live rock for fast cycling. How would I create a nsa with live rock from RRR?

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Same way? Remember inside of rrr will be white and try to keep exposure to a minimum but real reef isnt as alive as you may think

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you mean real reef rock with RRR, that's just dead rock with a bacteria bottle and some color painted on

Don't expect instant tank from that, its not real live rock

ReefEco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are looking for the effects of live rock for biodiversity and quicker tank stability, but also a nice NSA aquascape, the best way to do that might be to build the scape you want with Real Reef Rock (if you like the purple color) or Marco/Reef Saver dry rock, and add a small quantity of aquacultured live rock. QT it before if you can, to remove pests, but you will get the best of both worlds - the scape you want and flexibility to design/build it, and some added biodiversity and less cycle time from the live rock. https://www.saltybottomreefcompany.com/liverock is where I got mine. You don't need much - 5 lbs would do it. You could even keep the live rock in the sump (if you have one) if you can't QT it, and remove crabs, glue over aptasia when you see it (you will!) etc.

OP
OP
GHOSTLY

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are looking for the effects of live rock for biodiversity and quicker tank stability, but also a nice NSA aquascape, the best way to do that might be to build the scape you want with Real Reef Rock (if you like the purple color) or Marco/Reef Saver dry rock, and add a small quantity of aquacultured live rock. QT it before if you can, to remove pests, but you will get the best of both worlds - the scape you want and flexibility to design/build it, and some added biodiversity and less cycle time from the live rock. https://www.saltybottomreefcompany.com/liverock is where I got mine. You don't need much - 5 lbs would do it. You could even keep the live rock in the sump (if you have one) if you can't QT it, and remove crabs, glue over aptasia when you see it (you will!) etc.
I already have a cycle and stable tank so that's why I wanted to use rrr rock. Plus the rock at my lfs has been there for a while

OP
OP
GHOSTLY

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you mean real reef rock with RRR, that's just dead rock with a bacteria bottle and some color painted on

Don't expect instant tank from that, its not real live rock
I'm aware of that but it comes with xolour and bacteria so my tank cycles faster. Remember I'm moving over 10lb of live rock and 13g of water so im just going to be doing a small change.

aSaltyKlown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are bringing over the LR from your Evo, you shouldn't have a cycle. Even with the new rock, it will still hold any livestock that you currently have. It will take a few weeks for the bio to spread to the other rocks and may still get some uglies on the new rock. If you are keeping your sand, I'd rise it out until the water is clear and reuse.

As far as aquascaping, just do what you want with it outside the tank. Keep some wet towels on the pieces that you are not working with or have some tank water in a spray bottle and spray the rock down every 20 min or so. I wouldn't even add any additional bottle bac, it won't hurt but is not needed.

OP
OP
GHOSTLY

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are bringing over the LR from your Evo, you shouldn't have a cycle. Even with the new rock, it will still hold any livestock that you currently have. It will take a few weeks for the bio to spread to the other rocks and may still get some uglies on the new rock. If you are keeping your sand, I'd rise it out until the water is clear and reuse.

As far as aquascaping, just do what you want with it outside the tank. Keep some wet towels on the pieces that you are not working with or have some tank water in a spray bottle and spray the rock down every 20 min or so. I wouldn't even add any additional bottle bac, it won't hurt but is not needed.
If that's the case more live rock would help i assume. Will I get a spike jn nitrate?

Nway93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I did with some Kp aquatics rock wasn't as intricate as some of the nsa scapes but still glued pieces together. I had the rock cooking in a Rubbermaid tub as I was rebooting my tank and arranged it sort of how I wanted underwater. Then glued two pieces at a time using aquaforest stone fix. Took about 15-20 min to bond then put it back in the tub. Didn't have any die off or spike in ammonia that I noticed except to the initial die off from shipping.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back