How to make krylon fusion paint chip resistant and scraper resistant?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have these acrylic boards that go in the tank. I spray painted them with krylon fusion acrylic paint.

I am able to completely remove the acrylic to scrape coralline algae…what can I apply to the krylon to make it super resistant to scrapes? It’s already super resistant as it is, but I want that extra security because there will eventually be coralline algae.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3AAD3342-27CA-46F9-A8CE-F73C026705E1.png
The reviews say that the tip gets clogged way to fast and easily. I’m guessing the silicone is thick and dries quickly. It is nsf approved so safe for the reef.

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acrylic spray sealer, or a clear coat that is acrylic based would work. However you would want to let it dry. Also wash with hot soap water to get any mineral oil left over off.

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't understand spray painting acrylic then putting it in the tank, unless I'm reading this wrong. I'm curious as to what you are doing with the acrylic that would require painting. I don't see anyway to scrape something like hard coralline off a spray painted acrylic surface without the paint getting scraped off with it.

I built a black acrylic cover that covers my internal overflow box. Instead of using a scraper on the acrylic, I just take the cover off and soak it in vinegar once in a while. Or a splash off muriatic acid if I'm in a hurry.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't understand spray painting acrylic then putting it in the tank, unless I'm reading this wrong. I'm curious as to what you are doing with the acrylic that would require painting. I don't see anyway to scrape something like hard coralline off a spray painted acrylic surface without the paint getting scraped off with it.

I built a black acrylic cover that covers my internal overflow box. Instead of using a scraper on the acrylic, I just take the cover off and soak it in vinegar once in a while. Or a splash off muriatic acid if I'm in a hurry.
I’m spray painting an acrylic slab to go inside the tank. It’s removable so I can easily clean it. You think vinegar will remove the coralline without removing the paint? This krylon paint is really strong. I couldn’t remove it with a scraper and it only dried for 2 hours.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@NowGlazeIT @DrZoidburg

I can scrape coralline algae off these products? It won’t remove the acrylic/silicone?
I’ve never used this product but I never really get coraline on my silicone seams in the tank. I would rub it off not scrape it tho, just to be safe.

Tony the Fish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have these acrylic boards that go in the tank. I spray painted them with krylon fusion acrylic paint.

I am able to completely remove the acrylic to scrape coralline algae…what can I apply to the krylon to make it super resistant to scrapes? It’s already super resistant as it is, but I want that extra security because there will eventually be coralline algae.
Why not leave with Coralie. Otherwisw buy colored acrylic

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
never put painted crap in ones tank below the water line. not a good move. most of us paint the back of the tank where water never touches.

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

would use reef safe colored resin like people use to make home made fiberglass tanks. get that painted crap out of your tank. paint will slowly release bad stuff and leech it back into your water

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back