How to make stylocoeniella happy/get polyp extension???

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a few of these corals and very rarely do they seem happy. I have one glued to the rock in my display tank, and it has grown and encrusted a little bit, but I rarely see it’s polyps! I have a few others, but struggle to find spots in the tank where they will extend their polyps. . .?

9AAED4EE-D4BC-4760-B013-3D90B9701EA3.jpeg

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My Electric Daisy sits on the sand bed (about 50 par) and fairly high flow. My Burning Banana sits on the sand bed and only medium flow. The Electric Daisy looks happier but has less PE. My JF Sunset Stylo was in higher PAR and higher flow and was always happy until my magnet leeched and killed it.

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In nature Stylocoeniella occur in shallower reef areas in crevices or in deeper waters and then more out in the open. So it isn't a natural high light lover and can certainly get by in lower light, but appreciates some flow (let's call it 'medium light/medium flow' for best color and best expansion).

When I bought this pink variety many years back, the LFS had bleached all of their Stylo frags by placing them with their light loving Acros. I placed the one I bought in around 70 - 80 PAR and it recovered nicely:

Pink Stylocoeniella_041722.jpg

They also like to be fed at least once a week with small foods like ReefRoids and BBS, which helps with health, coloration and polyp expansion.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back