How to make the background Pitch Black like this?

Subnautica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an ad from Waterbox. Also in many other tanks I've seen they have a pitch black background, meaning little to no light reflection on it. In my 75gal tank I struggle to do that. My Kessil lights always spill some lights on the background.

20210616_015637.jpg

Forty-Two

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think all of the WB tanks have an internal/"reef ready" flow which will give it the black background because its all black plastic at the back of the tank.

I did order their 270 ReefLX - however I cancelled it because unfortunately underneath in the cabinet - the space is divided in the larger aquariums - and the divider cannot be removed (I had them ask their engineering department). This means you're limited to a sump of around 100cm if you choose to replace theirs and optimize the space.

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think all of the WB tanks have an internal/"reef ready" flow which will give it the black background because its all black plastic at the back of the tank.

I did order their 270 ReefLX - however I cancelled it because unfortunately underneath in the cabinet - the space is divided in the larger aquariums - and the divider cannot be removed (I had them ask their engineering department). This means you're limited to a sump of around 100cm if you choose to replace theirs and optimize the space.
Its black glass in the wb aquariums not plastic

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing that's reef safe will be that black and have no reflections. Black plastic in particular will look/turn grayblue with time, especially after you scratch it all up cleaning corraline off

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 180 was painted black across the back glass, on the outside of the tank. It was older when I got it but was pretty dang black.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an ad from Waterbox. Also in many other tanks I've seen they have a pitch black background, meaning little to no light reflection on it. In my 75gal tank I struggle to do that. My Kessil lights always spill some lights on the background.

20210616_015637.jpg
Tank lights are off. Turn them on and then see if there is reflection of light. I know this is not your tank but it is misleading with the main lights being off, I would think.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the reef hobby, where 99% of vendors show edited pics or stuff!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back