How to make XR15 the same blue as Hydra32?

pixelhustler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently switched from an AI Hydra 32 to a Radion XR15 G6 Blue and I find the light is too white/greenish for my taste.

I love the deep blue on the Hydra and how it makes my corals glow and shimmer, and I’m thinking of going back to the Hydra. I realize this is opposite of 95% of people but color is very subjective.

Is there any way to get that deeper high contrast blue on the Radions? I realize part of the contrast is the shadowing the Hydras create but even with the deeper blue channels at 100% and no white or cool blues I can’t seem to get that hue on my Radion.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not looked at the specs of both lights but i suggest you should.... to even see if the lights.... remotely have the same spectrum led's. That would be first step.

Since this is totally subjective. I suggest then you just play with the settings to see if you can get it to what you are looking for. If you can't then go back to what you like.

Turn the whites off on you new fixture and work your way back. Good luck.

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here.. I switched back to AI from Radion.
I just like the color of the light better.

But im still looking for the optimal setting/schedule

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_20220927-034252.png

Screenshot_20220927-033827.png

Screenshot_20220927-033531.png

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_20220927-124819.png

MIXING LIST
----------------------------------------
LED UV (390nm) [120°] x3
LED UV (400nm) [120°] x2
LED UV (410nm) [120°] x4
LED Violet (430nm) [120°] x12
LED RoyalBlue (450nm) [120°] x32
LED DeepRed (660nm) [120°] x2
LED CoolWhite (8000K) [120°] x8
LED WarmWhite (3000K) [120°] x4

* SIMULATION DATA
Luminous flux: 2,003 lm
Radiant flux: 29,695 mW
PPF: 114 umol/s
TCP: ‑ K
CRI: ‑
λp: 448 nm
Color: #5733FF
-------------------------

This uses generic diodes. It is just a starting point.
Seem the main point is no " regular blue".

OP
OP
P

pixelhustler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here.. I switched back to AI from Radion.
I just like the color of the light better.

But im still looking for the optimal setting/schedule
Were you able to get pretty close to the AI colors with Radions? The spread is great on the XR15 but they don’t seem to output that deep windex blue I got with AIs. I’m surprised one of the things people compliment the most on Radions is the color pop on corals, but I feel like it’s actually a downgrade from AIs when it comes to coral fluorescence.

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a long time hydra 52 hd user that recently switched to the g6 pros. I honestly hated the radions after I switched bc I couldn’t get the same look. I came close by cranking up the warm whites but it bleached and then killed a couple of my favorite corals. I decided to try the phoenix 14 preset with a little less white and red and some other custom additions and left it alone. Now that it’s been a couple months I love the color and the corals are growing way faster with better color than my hydras ever did.

There’s still a lot that I don’t like about the g6’s though. I probably should of got the blues but they don’t produce nearly as much par as I thought they would and I don’t like the 9” mounting height. I have very little head room to work with for fragging, taking pics etc….. but the corals are absolutely loving these lights.

OP
OP
P

pixelhustler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a long time hydra 52 hd user that recently switched to the g6 pros. I honestly hated the radions after I switched bc I couldn’t get the same look. I came close by cranking up the warm whites but it bleached and then killed a couple of my favorite corals. I decided to try the phoenix 14 preset with a little less white and red and some other custom additions and left it alone. Now that it’s been a couple months I love the color and the corals are growing way faster with better color than my hydras ever did.

There’s still a lot that I don’t like about the g6’s though. I probably should of got the blues but they don’t produce nearly as much par as I thought they would and I don’t like the 9” mounting height. I have very little head room to work with for fragging, taking pics etc….. but the corals are absolutely loving these lights.
Unfortunately I also killed all my favias at the sandbed, which is totally my fault. Both XR15 and Hydra 32 have the same wattage but the spread is so good on the radions it hit the sandbed stronger than I predicted.
I have the XR15 Blue and I just can’t get close to the deep blue on my Hydra 32. Took it down today and set up the Hydra again. Will lose a good amount of money on this 2 month old XR 15 plus the corals I killed but nobody said this hobby was cheap hahah

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I was running my Xr15 blue on 75% AB+ on my 20g tank.
Coloration really developed on the acros but higher then 75% was too much.

Now I struggle to find any good schedule/setting on my AI Hydra 32HD (2 over a 24" cube)

But coloration is way better imo. (I mean for my eye)
I lost alot of color on the acros.. but I guess lightning isnt the problem here.. more the move.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 20.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back