How to minimize waste water?

Rp8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there an addition I can get to add pressure or something to minimize waste water? There are 4 people in my house, plus me making water. water company said I have used 8k gallons this month and 10k the last. I have a 150 total volume and make 20 gallons/wk. seems extremely excessive. it’s an older system, new membranes and filters. The filter guys ocean reef 1.
Any ideas? I am still searching for leaks in my plumbing.
thanks in advance

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get a booster pump to increase the pressure. You can also install a water saver kit that basically adds another membrane to the waste water line.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get a booster pump to increase the pressure. You can also install a water saver kit that basically adds another membrane to the waste water line.
This is definitely the way to go. After installing booster pump and additional membrane, I make RODI water twice as fast and significantly less water going down the drain.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are running the standard 4:1 you are only using 100 gallon per week. If you went to the dual membrane you could reduce that to 60 gallons per week.

There are people that have removed the membrane and just use sediment-carbon-DI to reduce water consumption. Jake at reefbuilders only uses sediment and carbon filters

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't per capita water consumption something like 100 gal/day/person?

100 * 30 * 4 = 12,000 so you're probably fine.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are only running 20 gallons of RO/DI per week, then the RO/DI system isn't the source of your water usage, nor is that usage considered extremely excessive. 80 - 100 gallon per day is normal usage for Americans. Between flushing toilets, daily showers, running sinks, teeth brushing, dish washers, laundry, cooking/drinking, etc... 100 gallons per day per person is completely normal.

OP
OP
Rp8

Rp8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks guys. I’ll look into that
Isn't per capita water consumption something like 100 gal/day/person?

100 * 30 * 4 = 12,000 so you're probably fine.
Sorry, it’s not about the water, it’s about the Benjamin’s lol. Well kinda about the water too. That’s a lot of water

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks guys. I’ll look into that

Sorry, it’s not about the water, it’s about the Benjamin’s lol. Well kinda about the water too. That’s a lot of water
I did the calculation once on how much water my rodi wasted and the cost was pretty insegnificant as in it would take months to break even on buying the water saving kit.
Did your water usage go up significantly after installing the rodi or are you just guessing that it's wasting too much water?

OP
OP
Rp8

Rp8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the calculation once on how much water my rodi wasted and the cost was pretty insegnificant as in it would take months to break even on buying the water saving kit.
Did your water usage go up significantly after installing the rodi or are you just guessing that it's wasting too much water?
Just these last 2 months our water bill and consumption has doubled. We did recently just move here. But it’s the same system I had in Omaha compared to here in Charleston. I am starting to lean to a leak somewhere. But I still have to do the math and find the leak. The good water vs waste water difference is dramatic. The good water takes 2 hrs to fill 5 gallons. The waste water is a strong stream, haven’t measured it. But will today when I get home

Kazumi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The standard seems to be 4:1 waste to produced water. So for every gallon of water you make, it puts 4 gallons down the drain. I just went to dual membranes lately, and have it down to about 1:1. They are 100 GPD membranes, so I can make 1 gallon in 5 minutes. At that high of water usage, I would think there is a leak somewhere, but another thing to look at is to make sure that your auto shut off is actually turning your RO off.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Um, guys? @20 gallons a week, even with a 4:1 waste to RO water that's still only 400-450 gallons everymonth. The guy is using 8-10k (as in thousand). Adding another RO membrane while good and everything is still only going to save a few hundred gallons every month.

ragequit.exe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you remember to reinstall the flow restrictor on your wastewater line from the RODI to the drain?

Sometimes they are inline cylinders but sometimes almost invisible inserts in the waste line and if you changed the lines while moving it may have been discarded.

OP
OP
Rp8

Rp8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you remember to reinstall the flow restrictor on your wastewater line from the RODI to the drain?

Sometimes they are inline cylinders but sometimes almost invisible inserts in the waste line and if you changed the lines while moving it may have been discarded.
I only have what came with my system. Everything was put back the way it came off.

OP
OP
Rp8

Rp8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Um, guys? @20 gallons a week, even with a 4:1 waste to RO water that's still only 400-450 gallons everymonth. The guy is using 8-10k (as in thousand). Adding another RO membrane while good and everything is still only going to save a few hundred gallons every month.
Thanks for that

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does you water company charge for water? Everywhere I've lived they charge per 1000 gallons so if you use 2001 gallons or 2999 gallons, you get charged the same amount. Last time I looked it was only $3 or $4 per 1000 gallons so even if the RO waste was taking you to the next 1000 gallon level it wasn't much money.

You might make sure they are actually reading your water meter and not just doing an estimate reading. Before we had digital meters here they would only actually read your meter every few months, the other times they did estimates based on your prior usage and time of year. Also, if you have a sprinkler system they can use more water than you think.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have old, non-water saver toilets? I changed mine out, to Kohler Highline Comfort Height Toilets, and noticed an immediate drop in my Electric Bill, I’m on a well. Even though they are not dual flush, if you hold the lever down, for a second, they act like dual flush.

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check for obvious leaks as well. Toilet that seems to refill on its own has a leaky flapper valve. Garden hose Bibb outside dripping or maybe the neighbor is using your water on his lawn

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The good water vs waste water difference is dramatic.
Sounds like it. Extra membranes are cheap, but you can only use them if your incoming water has low TDS or your defeating the purpose feeding your second membrane water to high in TDS meaning you will go through DI resin like crazy. My incoming is 37tds so I can run 3 membranes in series for water savings. You have something jacked at your current rates. I would probably get a 100gpd membrane in your shoes and play with the restrictor to tune your system. Sounds like you have no restrictor. Using a booster pump helps maximize performance and I love mine.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back