How to move reef tank? please share your opinions.

balajeek15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of searching for little bigger house (family is grown) and in coming months if all works out well then I will make the move. It won't be far and will be in and around 15 miles from current house. I want to be prepared.

I have RedSea Reefer 350, 71gal (93gal whole) tank with mixed (50+) corals and 8 fishes, 2 sherman anemone, all are running for about 5 years. I like what i have and would like to keep and continue. Thinking of the move first thing comes to mind is how complicated would be to make this happen. So I like to hear your thoughts and experiences from people who had done the move, if you haven't you are still welcome to give your opinions/ideas.

Main Question: Is it all possible to move and continue running the same system with as little change as possible or we have to do a fresh start ?

I do have some plan in my mind described in below steps with the help of my family, honestly not sure how this will all workout.

When it's time to move, I will have few storage containers (17gal size each) and couple of barrels.

Steps: (just day before movers arrive)
1. Use existing water and fill the storage containers.
2. Move all the corals, inverts and fishes and some small rocks (for fish to hide) into the 1st container
3. Move all the live rocks into the 2nd container, include space for spare return pump and existing skimmer
4. Move live sand into 3rd container
5. Fill barrels with existing water (plan to use 50% of existing water into the new setup)
6. Put all the containers and barrels in to the minivan (2nd and 3rd row folded, with painters cloth on top of tarp spread all area just in case to protect from water damage) will have a person to watch and take care.
7. Drive slowly and safely to the new location, unload.
8. Move 1st container live stock to a 20 gal QT (which i already have) with overflow setup to 2nd container and get it running.
9. Return to old house, clean lightly the DT and Sump and dry, leave all the neptune system setup and tubes inside the cabinet (its hell lot of wires, I don't even have this much on my home theater setup), Just take the glass sump out of the cabinet, secure all the system with bubble wraps so i don't have to re-do everything, it could be more like unplug and plug in back in place. I do have all the gears on a piece of wooden board so all it can stay wrapped.
10. At this point the DT, Cabinet, Sump is ready for the movers to move the next day.

Next day, after the movers moved the stuff:
1. Setup the Cabinet, DT, Sump, plumbing, lighting and systems
2. Start filling the DT with newly made saltwater up to 40%
3. Move the live sand in to DT, and fill the tank with 30% existing water from moved barrels, at this point the water will be cloudy, setup return pump and let it run and settle for few hours, this will enable to check for leaks and any damage may have happen in the move.
4. Move live rocks, corals, fishes into DT (more like just dump it because aquascaping for me takes a lot of time, and its for another day when i finished settling move)

So, ultimately i moved live stock with 50% of existing water. I wonder if i can blow and rinse each live rocks i take out form old setup for free of debris, also lightly rinse the live sand because it will have more debris in it, not sure if its a good idea, but like to hear opinions.

One more option while i make the move is to upgrade the tank (not that i have $$$$ to spend) by buying a new/used 100gal setup. It surely add some extra work for me in setting up the new tank and plumbing's.

Reefers who have done the move please share your thoughts and opinions or advice:

a) Was this move too complicated?
b) Does the system run stable after that without any cycles or outbreaks?
c) Anything you regretted or think you might have done differently?
d) Any loss or damages?
e) Any other concerns?

Thank you all.
Hope i find the house we are looking for and reef hobby is even better :)

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never really pressed too hard on keeping the old water … match the temp, salinity and alkalinity and most anything will usually adapt after a short pzzz off period…
most of my moving losses have been sponges and other air sensitive/ hydration sensitive critters like tunicates and some algae’s.
Oh btw I’ve lost wrasses, jumpers and fire red shrimp …the usual suspects

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Balajeek

the plan above to lightly rinse sand is risky, 10% chance of loss if you use a light rinse transfer of old sand

but if you tap water rinse the old sand to complete clarity, opposite of light rinse, fifty pages of successful moves. Sometimes doing the opposite of what seems best, is best.

moving some of the old water you drained off before it clouded up is fine. Sometimes after posting the tap water rinse we carry on for pages on whether that’s bad or causes a recycle, but the thread above is literally a collection of tank moves and upgrades it’ll proof any concerns

OP
OP
balajeek15

balajeek15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Balajeek

the plan above to lightly rinse sand is risky, 10% chance of loss if you use a light rinse transfer of old sand

but if you tap water rinse the old sand to complete clarity, opposite of light rinse, fifty pages of successful moves. Sometimes doing the opposite of what seems best, is best.

moving some of the old water you drained off before it clouded up is fine. Sometimes after posting the tap water rinse we carry on for pages on whether that’s bad or causes a recycle, but the thread above is literally a collection of tank moves and upgrades it’ll proof any concerns
good read, thanks.

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't read all of this but the basic steps are not too difficult. All of your beneficial bacteria is in your rocks. You need to move them into the new tank with new water. The sand is full of detritus so if you just moved it over then it would cause a massive cycle when you disturb it. So, the sand needs to all be cleaned before it is added to the new tank. I am sure there are videos on this process

slacker036

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved my tank 2 miles a little over a week and a half ago and as of this morning have not lost any livestock.

upgraded tanks during the move so its a little different but same concept with just a little more work on your part for disassembly/reassembly.

I moved from a 75G to a XXL 525 (109G) in the process.

I decided against moving the sand-bed because of the thread linked above and just bought new sand for the tank (changed from Fiji Pink to Special Grade while I was at it) and after going back to clean the sand a few days later decided that the amount of time that would have been needed to get the sand clean enough for the move, getting new sand was a good decision

moved the live rock in those black storage bins with the yellow lids. (blue tang un-expectantly moved with the rock)
I had 2 bins I was planning on using but ended up just doubling up the bin as the weight of the water even only half full made the sides bow enough to make me nervous so I just took more trips between tanks.

because I was taking more trips than planned I just shook off the rock in the bin and dropped it into the new tank and headed back out for another trip aqua scaping was done a few days later (still need to move a few rocks around). I had planned on scraping off some of the bubble algae I have been dealing with but when I started on the one larger rock I actually saw the tail of the blue tang sticking out of the side and was like snap there's a fish in here and just threw it in the tank.

livestock so far still alive

1Blue Hippo Tang
1 Sailfin Tang
2 Wyoming white Clowns
1 orchid dottyback
6 Blue/Green Chromis
Skunk Cleaner shrimp
at least 4 Mithrax crabs (not actually sure how many I have but I saw 4 last night)
1 Pincushion Urchin
1 Pencil Urchin
tons of GSP
Tons of Violet Cespitularia

in all it wasn't that bad just took my time with the livestock kept exposure to the air at a minimum and drove slow.

plan for things to take longer than you think while getting everything prepped.

sorry for a long response that may have very little useful info :)

BaghdadBean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have moved reef tanks four times now. Biggest move was from Colorado to Oregon. About a month before the move I threw some filter sponges into the sump. I did a 50% water change the night before tear down, loaded the rocks into ice chests, enough water to barely cover them. Kept a few rocks for the other three ice chests, enough for some bacteria, and threw one of the filter sponges into each of the other three ice chests, filled 3/4 with tank water, added my fish, and drilled a hole in each cooler that I ran a air line through. Kept them all oxygenated with battery operated air pump and cheap little air stones in each cooler. I chucked the sand and replaced with new sand. Worked like a charm, didn’t lose a single shrimp, or fish, and had minimal coral losses (bubble coral took the hit). I did swap rocks out on the cooler containing my mandarins because I figured they were always snackish and that way they could get a chance at some pods.

When I moved locally, I pretty much did the same thing. First time I kept the sand bed, but moved it, and that was a mistake. Major GHA bloom afterwards. Second local hop I just left the sand bed in the tank and invited extra friends to move it. That worked pretty good, but knowing what I know now I wouldn’t attempt it again, because I’m lucky we didn’t spring a leak. Last move I rInsed out some of the sand and replaced some. Going back over how the tank fared after each move, I would just replace my sand bed at this point with every move, and just deal with the tiny ugly stage as it repopulates with bacteria. I think I had less issues moving from Colorado to Oregon than I did moving around Oregon because I just ditched the old sand and ordered new live sand. I never tried really really rinsing all of the sand 100% though because it was such a pain and I was in too much of a hurry to just get things back in the tank.

DrakeHeyman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there. Newbie here. I've recently moved, and I thought that I'd share some tips that helped me with moving a reef tank. Using storage containers and barrels is a smart move. Just make sure to secure everything properly to avoid any spills during transportation. Keeping the same system running with as little change as possible is totally possible. Moving your live stock to a 20-gallon QT tank while setting up the new tank sounds like a good idea. When it's time to move, take it slow and drive safely to the new location. Be careful when unloading and make sure your live stock gets settled in their new home comfortably.

DrakeHeyman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there. Newbie here. I've recently moved, and I thought that I'd share some tips that helped me with moving a reef tank. Using storage containers and barrels is a smart move. Just make sure to secure everything properly to avoid any spills during transportation. Keeping the same system running with as little change as possible is totally possible. Moving your live stock to a 20-gallon QT tank while setting up the new tank sounds like a good idea. When it's time to move, take it slow and drive safely to the new location. Be careful when unloading and make sure your live stock gets settled in their new home comfortably.

Considering hiring a professional moving service like three men and a truck was a great idea. They have experience in handling delicate items and can help with the heavy lifting.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 40 81.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.1%
Back